You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Home Defense - All You Need

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 05:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 306 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Default Home Defense - All You Need

I apologize if this is the wrong section for this kind of post, but I wasn't sure where to place it. Anyways I think as a minimum every home should have these three essential weapons for home defense. They don't have to be these brands, but just the weapons themselves. My AR is about 7 years old, the shotgun is about 4 years old, and the SIG Nightmare is about 3 years old. I'm sure there are some additional (maybe better choices) and I would be interested to hear what you think.
File Type: jpg Mossberg AR Nightmare.jpg (79.5 KB, 89 views)
Retired at 62- Stick a fork in me I'm done.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2017, 06:09 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 16149 Times on 6681 Posts
Likes Given: 2633

You could make much worse choices and still be good!

Have a friend that is a blogger/ retired professor, has a concept of a "basic battery" of firearms- rimfire rifle, sport utility rifle, shotgun, handgun. sort of like the hammer/wrench/ pliers/ screwdriver of a basic tool kit.
People Like This 
Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #3

Liked 6314 Times on 3487 Posts
Likes Given: 10556

i like your plan.

but i will add this. what firearms to use for home defense is all about your specific environment. we all live in different types of homes and areas. example: the type of firearm i might suggest for a person who lived in the city in an apartment wouldn't be the same for the person living in a home in a very rural area, with no close neighbors.

and then also factor in this. how many others live in the home or dwelling? kids? animals? in-laws? how close are the nearest neighbors? what type of construction is the dwelling made of? wood framed or brick? how large is the interior of the dwelling?

my personal thoughts are a person needs to figure out what would be the optimum choice in firearms for their specific needs.

for myself, i live in a very, very rural area with the nearest neighbor at least well over half a mile away, no kids, just the wife and i, and our pets. i do keep several pistols in various locations around the house that are easily accessible and shotgun loaded in the bedroom, along with my AR that is loaded and ready if it's were needed. my go to is the pistol. i like the shotgun simply because it doesn't require the same precision in aiming that pistol or rifle need.

also a person needs to learn the limitations of the firearms they choose for home defense. i know what the longest shots are that could possibly ever be taken inside my home. those are the distances that i practice at, so that i know what it can or can't do. a person needs to practice with the ammo they would consider using for a home defense firearm. practice needs to be on a regular basis. also anyone who might use those firearms needs to practice as well. a person needs to understand the construction of their dwelling. you sure as hell don't want to zing rifle or pistols rounds through sheetrock walls if there are people on the other side of them. a person needs to take all of this into consideration when they make their choices in firearms.

i also believe that a person should practice and find out any problems with their choice of firearms right after they decide on what they are going to purchase. too many people buy a gun and some ammo, stick them in a corner, or a drawer, and call it good to go. the time to find there are problems with the firearm or the ammo is before they are needed, not when they are needed. plus it allows a person to become familiar with the features and controls of that firearm. as well as anyone else who might have to use it as well. too many people i believe just buy a gun and never even give it another thought after doing so. that just seems like poor planning.
People Like This 
Old 02-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #4

Liked 136 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It sounds like you need two more weapons than I do.
People Like This 
Old 02-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Guess we get along with the minimum here. A 20 gauge and a .38 special revolver. I have access to a M1 carbine if it gets ugly.
(Yes, it has a fixed bayonet on it if the perp gets through the door) lol. (not).

Last edited by JoeCor; 02-28-2017 at 03:47 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #6

Liked 306 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You could make much worse choices and still be good!

Have a friend that is a blogger/ retired professor, has a concept of a "basic battery" of firearms- rimfire rifle, sport utility rifle, shotgun, handgun. sort of like the hammer/wrench/ pliers/ screwdriver of a basic tool kit.
You're right about a good 22 and the other things you listed.
Retired at 62- Stick a fork in me I'm done.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #7

Liked 2799 Times on 1463 Posts
Likes Given: 1546

I have a bunch of different guns. But I believe that a revolver is a great tool for home defence. I like a 38/357. If it came to an emergency anyone could operate it. A lot of people could shoot a 1911. I have 2 of them that I compete with. But a lot of people would not be able to clear a jam in a stressful situation. My 18 year old son still lives with me. While he is an accomplished shooter with a rifle, I am certain that he has not put in the practice time with his Berretta. I am sure he would have trouble with a jam. There are a lot of people out there carrying a gun that they are not properly trained and practiced with.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Alaskan Likes This 
Old 02-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #8

Liked 2036 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 901

I prefer my 12ga coach gun with #6 shot. I mainly want to hurt and tourture the dumb SOB's that want to break into my home. Out in the woods, no one will hear them scream!

Yes, I have evil thoughts, but I hate thieves.
North American Hunting Club
People Like This 
Old 02-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #9

Liked 1358 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 1527

Everything Dallas53 said! Everything.

I have perhaps two firearms in my "collection" that are not reliable enough to use in a SD role. Aside from those two, every firearm I own has been practiced with enough to be comfortable with its reliability and accuracy as a SD weapon, and as I find the most reliable ammo for each, that is what I stick with, practice with, and it is loaded up in all of them. That is mostly FMJ.

Farm life, nearest two neighbors are 200 yards and 500 yards away respectively, and I am keenly aware of where they are in relation to inside the house. The rest of the directions are uninhabited for miles.

My needs are both home defense and farm defense and include defense against both two-legged and four-legged intruders (predominantly a rabid coyote or dog should one ever show up). Like Dallas53, I have various firearms scattered around the house and farm, usually in locations they would be most suitable for. And my EDC is always with me, even on the farm.

Agree that the basic array of HD firearms in the OP is appropriate, but like Dallas53 said, it all depends on your individual situation. An AR is probably not appropriate in an apartment complex, for example.
People Like This 
Old 02-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #10

Liked 2234 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 2346

All I need is, my dogs & my guns, and if you have been on here long enough you know I have several of both !.................
People Like This