Home defense: 9mm or 5.56? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Home defense: 9mm or 5.56?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
Originally Posted by therukh

After rereading my post several times, I can't seem to find the logical transition from letting female shooters choose which firearm they like and then supporting that choice to learning faster with a handgun, poor instruction techniques & rifle shooters who can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn, from the inside - with the doors closed. Guess I need to learn to read between the lines a little better.
.....Or develop thicker skin when read post replies from John Deer lol. Dude loves to state the "un-obvious" and try to make people feel dumb. Imho opinion, anything 9mm and above is fine for hd. My wife is small framed and she is comfortable with everything up to a 12 gauge. Rent some guns with your wife and see which ones she likes best. Good luck in your search and decision making. My choice for good inexpensive hd in 5.56 is still a mini 14. My wife LOVES shooting that gun.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #72

Liked 173 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Self defense? Obviously he was talking short range when he listed off a handgun and a shotgun first. Even his Remington could be used in that role! Just not very effectively at all. Nowhere did he say "long range".
Since you asked for clarification, the Remington 700 would be for self defense against a sniper with his/her own scoped bolt action rifle. That's why I call this 4th tier -- way out there. Thus the scoped bolt action rifle will (1) put food on your table but also (2) will help you defend in a counter-sniper role.

That's still self defense.

(Edited G30USMC)

Last edited by JonM; 04-10-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: removed offtopic comment

Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
.....Or develop thicker skin when read post replies from John Deer lol. Dude loves to state the "un-obvious" and try to make people feel dumb. Imho opinion, anything 9mm and above is fine for hd. My wife is small framed and she is comfortable with everything up to a 12 gauge. Rent some guns with your wife and see which ones she likes best. Good luck in your search and decision making. My choice for good inexpensive hd in 5.56 is still a mini 14. My wife LOVES shooting that gun.
I completely agree about the Ruger Mini 14's. They are great carbines. Virtually no recoil. A shotgun would do less collateral damage to your house and your neighborhood though.

As far as 9mm "and above," when you get very much "above" 9mm then you have the same collateral damage issues as with the 5.56x45mm.

Plus as your recoil increases your rate of fire decreases. This is precisely why the 9mm and the 45ACP are perfect -- optimum rate of fire with minimum associated recoil. Add just a little bit more recoil -- such as with a 10mm or a 40 cal -- and now your rate of fire goes way down. Add a LOT of recoil -- such as with a 357 -- and now your rate of fire is really, really low.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
With an equal amount of training any inexperienced shooter is going to handle a rifle far better than any handgun. It is much easier to line up the sights on a gun with a 16" or longer sight radius than a handgun with a sight radius of 6" or less.

If your female shooters are learning faster with a handgun you are the problem. Either you have poor instruction techniques or you don't know how to handle a rifle yourself. We have thousands of rifle owners that can't hit the broadside of a barn with open sights. In fact, so many people can't use iron sights it is hard to buy a rifle with open sights.
True, it is harder to learn to master a handgun than a long gun.

Both involve a lot of initial training though.

Women tend to get flinch-itis with long guns however, that's why they tend to shoot handguns better. Or so I have noticed. Especially shotguns -- women often hate shotguns.

But I remember a lady in her early 20's who loved shooting my Ruger Mini 14 precisely because it had virtually no recoil -- and in that case the John Deere Rule above was exactly true.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #75
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Self defense? Obviously he was talking short range when he listed off a handgun and a shotgun first. Even his Remington could be used in that role! Just not very effectively at all. Nowhere did he say "long range".
you might need to schedule an appointment with the eye doctor. because it's written right there in the last sentenance of the post. but you are more than welcome to give consideration to advice that borders on the rediculous if you feel it suits your needs.

Shoobee has never had his mind rooted in reality. are you wanting real and serious advice on SD or idiotic SHTF BS about whether a 300 RUM would be a good sniper rifle?until the SHTF situation occurs, sniping people at long distance and calling it SD don't make it so. you will be arrested for murder or attempted murder.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:33 AM   #76

Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Sooo, on a lighter note, matty, if you go with a carbine, I would recommend mounting a red dot. This makes it quick and easy to pick up the target, especially in low light.There is no lining up the front and rear sight.

Feral cat waterboarder

orangello Likes This 
Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 AM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 182 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
lol I don't know, should I really have to change the thickness of my skin because of random tangential comments from other posters whom I don't know. Hummm, let me see...naw, not worth it!

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 04-11-2014, 04:07 AM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
lol I don't know, should I really have to change the thickness of my skin because of random tangential comments from other posters whom I don't know. Hummm, let me see...naw, not worth it!
The ignore button is another option available. I use it on a few.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

therukh Likes This 
Old 04-11-2014, 04:42 AM   #79

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

.357 revolver by the bed, with a Mossberg 930 a few steps away.

I think my most important HD option is the 100+ lbs. German Shepherd early warning system I installed... while I'm fast asleep he can hear a squirrel fart on the power lines outside.

I've never understood high-powered rifles for home defense; but I also don't live in a castle where a shot across the living room might be 50 yards... that might be a legitimate concern for others.

I absolutely would not discharge an AR inside a dwelling if I had children or others living in the house or if I had neighbors.

If someone asked me specifically about that option I'd suggest they check out all the horror stories in the news and on the real-life crime shows where 5.56/.223 rounds have passed through several walls, even through more than a single house, and inadvertently killed or injured some innocent person... that'd be a tough thing to live with.

There are just much safer options that still don't sacrifice the defense of one's home... childless castle owners whose servants live over a mile away can disregard all of the above.