Home defense: 9mm or 5.56? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Home defense: 9mm or 5.56?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Shotguns are the best for home defense unless u have some physical disability keeping you from using one. I challenge anybody to give facts saying different . I keep my shotgun under my bed and I can load it in a few seconds in the dark if I need to. I own a wide variaty of firearms but I can't think of any situation inside my house my shotgun couldn't handle. I live in the city and I would not want to fire a high powered rifle inside my house defending myself and accidently kill my neighbor.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Just because it was "posted on the internet"…

9MM vs ballistic gel - for those who think a high quality 9MM hollow point won't penetrate as much as 5.56MM

5.56MM vs ballistic gel - for those who think a 5.56MM FMJ over-penetrates

00 buck vs ballistic gel - for those who think 00 buck penetrates less than 5.56MM

00 buck and birdshot vs Mr. Pumpkin Head - for those who think a wall will stop birdshot or buckshot or something similarly ridiculous

What did we learn today?

9MM, 5.56MM, 00 buckshot and even birdshot fired through common defense firearms will all penetrate an interior wall like a hot knife through butter and kill anyone unfortunate enough to be on the other side.

I use all three. I prefer 5.56MM for accuracy, recoil control, and capacity but I would not feel inadequately armed with a 9MM pistol or 12 gauge shotgun.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
What did we learn today?
Pumpkins don't dodge well?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

kbd512 Likes This 
Old 04-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #54

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721 View Post
Shotguns are the best for home defense unless u have some physical disability keeping you from using one. I challenge anybody to give facts saying different . I keep my shotgun under my bed and I can load it in a few seconds in the dark if I need to. I own a wide variaty of firearms but I can't think of any situation inside my house my shotgun couldn't handle. I live in the city and I would not want to fire a high powered rifle inside my house defending myself and accidently kill my neighbor.
Shotguns are good if you feel you can manipulate it around your house. People say shotguns are the go to gun because you don't really have to aim it. When you wake up in the middle of the night your eyes will not be perfectly focused enough to take a precision shot.

But if you have kids I would strongly advise using a handgun. I would hate to have to use a shotgun and try and wrangle kids.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #55

Liked 407 Times on 232 Posts

On a budget and want a super reliable 5.56, get a mini 14 and save the rest for a nice .308. Especially if it's just for home defense, I'd take the ruger over a cheap AR. I think a mini is better quality for under 1k if you want it just for home defense. Nice handy little ultra reliable carbine. If it's any help, here's what my home defense setup is. I keep my .357 magnum next to the bed. Depending on the situation, that'll do the job. If not, the Mossberg 590a1 is sitting right next to the mini 14 I have. One for me, one for the wife. I'd say any of those three would be more than capable of handling anything short of someone wearing an iron man suit.

Last edited by FernandoTheCommando; 04-09-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #56

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

Default Home defense: 9mm or 5.56?

What about 300 blk or other non5.56 ARs?

You should be able to build to suit for about the same as the M&P15.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:02 PM   #57

Liked 407 Times on 232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams556 View Post
What about 300 blk or other non5.56 ARs?

You should be able to build to suit for about the same as the M&P15.
Mini 30 in 7.62x39 maybe? Non 5.56 ar eh? .300 blk is expensive and was honestly designed to be suppressed because it's mostly a heavy sub sonic round. Great in close quarters, but I think I'd stick with 5.56. Better availability, cheaper...etc.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Default Having a Bad Day?

Originally Posted by therukh
I don't think recoil is going to be a problem with either a 9mm or a .556. Since your wife is very small, a long gun (carbine) may be a bit more difficult for her to shoot and maneuver in the home. Make sure you have her try a carbine on a range to see if any feel right to her. The 9mm handgun you're considering might well be the gun for her use in home defense. Having taught and worked with a number of females, one never knows which gun they will end up liking. They often choose something that I would never have predicted. What ever her choice, let her choose and let her practice until she feels comfortable with her choice. You can't go wrong with any of the choices you're mentioned in your initial post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
With an equal amount of training any inexperienced shooter is going to handle a rifle far better than any handgun. It is much easier to line up the sights on a gun with a 16" or longer sight radius than a handgun with a sight radius of 6" or less.

If your female shooters are learning faster with a handgun you are the problem. Either you have poor instruction techniques or you don't know how to handle a rifle yourself. We have thousands of rifle owners that can't hit the broadside of a barn with open sights. In fact, so many people can't use iron sights it is hard to buy a rifle with open sights.
After rereading my post several times, I can't seem to find the logical transition from letting female shooters choose which firearm they like and then supporting that choice to learning faster with a handgun, poor instruction techniques & rifle shooters who can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn, from the inside - with the doors closed. Guess I need to learn to read between the lines a little better.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2947 Times on 1711 Posts
Likes Given: 1770

Here's one option that you may find interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mcw7-nWUI3s

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.
People Like This 
Old 04-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #60

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
Originally Posted by therukh

After rereading my post several times, I can't seem to find the logical transition from letting female shooters choose which firearm they like and then supporting that choice to learning faster with a handgun, poor instruction techniques & rifle shooters who can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn, from the inside - with the doors closed. Guess I need to learn to read between the lines a little better.
I'm with you on that one. I too was befuzzled.