Hollywood Mythbusting: CARS DO NOT STOP BULLETS - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Hollywood Mythbusting: CARS DO NOT STOP BULLETS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4365 Times on 2950 Posts
Likes Given: 2179

Until a member volunteers his automobile for trials, we just might issue a joint statement: Some car doors stop some bullets sometimes.
People Like This 
Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2906 Times on 1893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
Funny conversation at this point. "Do window motors stop bullets" as if that is any comfort at all.

If your car is getting shot at priority one is to GET OUT OF IT and seek cover.
-wonders what car manufacturer makes the biggest, thickest window motors-
Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #63
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
-wonders what car manufacturer makes the biggest, thickest window motors-
most window motors are not that big. certainly not big enough to use for cover!

usually about 3-4" tall and about 6-8" long. and roughly about 2-3" in diameter. most are located in either the bottom, towards the front or very rear of the door.

so if i were needing to make a shot at someone in a vehicle for SD purposes, these would probably not be the areas i would be targeting.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #64

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
most window motors are not that big. certainly not big enough to use for cover!

usually about 3-4" tall and about 6-8" long. and roughly about 2-3" in diameter. most are located in either the bottom, towards the front or very rear of the door.

so if i were needing to make a shot at someone in a vehicle for SD purposes, these would probably not be the areas i would be targeting.
Shooting at a 90 degree angle most pistols will penetrate the sheet metal of a car door. But self defense situations seldom happen at a 90 degree angle. I would hide behind a car door before I ran across an open parking lot with no where to go.

The front half of a car door has enough equipment to stop any pistol round for a few shots. Tests that consist of shooting stripped car door 30 times don't prove anything except you can hit a car door.

Federal safety standards say that a car door needs to be able keep another car from breaching the door if the car is hit broadside. The entire door is not thin sheet metal.

I would go to the junkyard and take pictures of car doors I shot. But I don't do anything because some less than polite person hurls insults and demands that I do something. I would rather leave you ignorant.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Shooting at a 90 degree angle most pistols will penetrate the sheet metal of a car door. But self defense situations seldom happen at a 90 degree angle. I would hide behind a car door before I ran across an open parking lot with no where to go.

The front half of a car door has enough equipment to stop any pistol round for a few shots. Tests that consist of shooting stripped car door 30 times don't prove anything except you can hit a car door.

Federal safety standards say that a car door needs to be able keep another car from breaching the door if the car is hit broadside. The entire door is not thin sheet metal.

I would go to the junkyard and take pictures of car doors I shot. But I don't do anything because some less than polite person hurls insults and demands that I do something. I would rather leave you ignorant.
JD, i am far from ignorant. if by asking you to validate your comments seem impolite to you, then maybe you need to grow some thicker skin.

i am full aware of how car door are made and exactly how they are designed to function in an accident. i have been into more than one door in the past, but i won't bore you again with those details.

and i do know this, when a person makes comments that are somewhat outlandish and not rooted in reality, then you should expect that they will met with criticism and skeptcism. and i hardly see it being out of line to ask for verification or proof when a person makes such statements. when a person refuses or avoids in furnishing that proof or verification of their statements, then it slowly erodes their credibilty. i personally have worked very hard to build my credibility here and have proven it more than once here on this forum. my credibility stands on it's own and i have many that can vouch for it.

so you do whatever may suit your needs and makes you a happy camper. so you have great day today sir.

Last edited by Axxe55; 11-18-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

The next time i get to one of the impounded cars they drop off at the range for us first I will take some pictures for you guys.

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-18-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #67

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

i want to shoot a car!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i want to shoot a car!
it's lots of fun!
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #69

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

i want to shoot shoot a smart car and be like...."oooh...who's smart now, b*tch?"
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #70
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

the next time we shoot "outdoors" we're going to blast a buncha Pumkins, as well as some old car parts...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...