Hollywood Mythbusting: CARS DO NOT STOP BULLETS - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hollywood Mythbusting: CARS DO NOT STOP BULLETS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm going to support John Deer's take on the car doors based on the video, " Deadly Weapons " , in which Alex Jason fired pistol bullets into a car door ; Some penetrated and some didn't . Jason asked, " So what does all this prove ? " and said, " Actually, not much " and noted that different door areas had different equipment and reinforcement .
I'm sure there's a big difference if the window is down, too .

I examined a junked small Japanese car that had been riddled with bullets from an AR-15 . The best I could tell, the bullets penetrated the sheet metal and desintegrated somewhere . I saw little evidence of " in one side and out the other effects " .

BTW- I'm betting JD actually owns a gun too .

Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21250 Times on 12065 Posts
Likes Given: 53009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
I'm going to support John Deer's take on the car doors based on the video, " Deadly Weapons " , in which Alex Jason fired pistol bullets into a car door ; Some penetrated and some didn't . Jason asked, " So what does all this prove ? " and said, " Actually, not much " and noted that different door areas had different equipment and reinforcement .
I'm sure there's a big difference if the window is down, too .

I examined a junked small Japanese car that had been riddled with bullets from an AR-15 . The best I could tell, the bullets penetrated the sheet metal and desintegrated somewhere . I saw little evidence of " in one side and out the other effects " .

BTW- I'm betting JD actually owns a gun too .
i have already proven his statements about this to be false. i used a 45 acp, 9mm, 40 S&W and a 44 magnum and 44 spl. all of them penetrated both door with ease and had not any problem even going through the reinforcements that are inside the door. door glass is actually very fragile and will break very easy.

hopefully this weekend i will do some test shooting and post pictures if the weather is cooperative and dispell the myths about whether pistol rounds will penetrate both doors. i did it last year and posted pictures, but i'll have to take some new ones as i deleted them a while back.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #53
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3043 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Axxe: we have been testing different SD ammo(just for grouping spreads), mostly 9MM, but some others,...I'd be glad to post one of those pics as a sidebar to the article with the brand, weight, and bullet type...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Axxe: we have been testing different SD ammo(just for grouping spreads), mostly 9MM, but some others,...I'd be glad to post one of those pics as a sidebar to the article with the brand, weight, and bullet type...
that would be most excellent. many years ago, i shot some old engine blocks with 45 acp FMJ rounds and they were knocking small hunks out of the blocks. now they didn't go all the way through, but i can figure that most larger caliber pistol rounds could still put the hurt on a running engine.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #55

Axxe55 :
Never mind shooting through car doors . Try shooting through a window motor and let me know what happens - unless the bullet ricochets back and gets you . Common sense tells me that some door areas will stop pistol bullets .

Also, if the bullet strikes at an angle, it may only dent the door as it caroms off . Therefore, the door is better cover than nothing .

Old 11-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

The door is totally unpredictable. Some cars we drill through most of the doors with no problems. Some cars we have serious issues getting any penetration at all. We shoot up cars all the time. Doors are concealment not cover. The engine block and the wheels/axles do a good job of slowing down and/or stopping them completely.

Myth busters did do an episode on this.

They used all rifle rounds. So of course they all zipped right through and they proclaimed the car cover a myth. Handgun rounds are a different story. I'm about as impressed with myth busters these days as I am with my bulging discs.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-15-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Axxe55 :
Never mind shooting through car doors . Try shooting through a window motor and let me know what happens - unless the bullet ricochets back and gets you . Common sense tells me that some door areas will stop pistol bullets .

Also, if the bullet strikes at an angle, it may only dent the door as it caroms off . Therefore, the door is better cover than nothing .
well i have nothing that has any window motors in them so that won't be happening.

what would you propose to make the test valid to prove the point then?

i have tested them out at shooting through a windshield and all penetrated quite well and went through both seats and into the trunk area.

BTW, these cars were mid 1970's Chrysler full size cars. not some newer import with thin sheetmetal.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #58

Axxe-
I am not seriously assigning you to run any tests . I was trying to make the point that a window motor is likely to stop any handgun bullet and that some other stuff in the car door should do so as well . When you factor in the chance of deflecting an angled hit or at least slowing a bullet down, the door doesn't look like bad cover .

Windshields have a poor record as cover but if hit at a steep angle, may deflect the bullet .

Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #59

Quote:
Axxe-
I am not seriously assigning you to run any tests . I was trying to make the point that a window motor is likely to stop any handgun bullet and that some other stuff in the car door should do so as well . When you factor in the chance of deflecting an angled hit or at least slowing a bullet down, the door doesn't look like bad cover .

Windshields have a poor record as cover but if hit at a steep angle, may deflect the bullet .
well i know enough about the anatomy of car parts to know yes it's possible that a window motor might stop a round if hit square on the thickest portion of it. possible, but most window motors are a pretty small target, most usually about 3-4" X 6-8". and i know for a fact that the sheetmetal in older cars is much more substantial than that of the newer cars.

i worked in several bodyshops over the years, and one i worked at years ago was out in the country and several of us guys at work would use the doors, fenders, and trunk lids to shoot at for target practice. we also had a steady supply of used windshields to use for target practice. this why i know what pistol rounds will do to a car. this isn't me assuming or guessing, but what i have done and seen. i have heard of bullets deflecting off a windshield, but personally i have never seen it happen yet. i would have to say possible, but unlikely.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #60

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Funny conversation at this point. "Do window motors stop bullets" as if that is any comfort at all.

If your car is getting shot at priority one is to GET OUT OF IT and seek cover.