Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hollywood Mythbusting: CARS DO NOT STOP BULLETS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Hollywood Mythbusting: CARS DO NOT STOP BULLETS

As you get into firearms seriously you quickly realize how many myths Hollywood has ingrained into our culture about firearms. Cars immediately blow up when shot by a single pistol round, or everyone shooting a pistol will hit their target when it is 50 yards away, while running, while doing a roll, and .... of course ... the old, "Cars stop bullets" myth.

How many times have you seen cops or bad guys take up position behind a car door and watch the bullets just "spark" off the door.

Total myth.

So, if somebody refuses to believe that this is a myth, just watch this video.

We shot the snot out of a vehicle out at Asymmetric Solutions and set up the camera to capture rounds coming all the way through the car, left to right, in one door, through the vehicle and out the other door and they just kept on traveling.

We were shooting 5.56 NATO rounds and you can see the damage we did previously before this short clip.

Now, to be fair, you CAN take cover from fire behind the car's engine block, but that is a bit tricky too, for you can never be absolutely sure you are fully covered by the block, but it is way better than nothing.

http://youtu.be/T2OuTY5JuCk

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Well, the problem is you didn't have the special molecularly hardened paint job.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #3

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

All you have to do is go to a MG shoot and observe their talent for putting a lot of holes in old, 90s junker cars. If the engine block won't have ant of it then it's time for the Lahti :-). Good job testing. Did you use any other rounds besides 5.56?

Old 11-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19999 Times on 11369 Posts
Likes Given: 50455

i have used old cars for testing pistol rounds and was astonished when another member a couple of years ago told me a 9mm won't penetrate a car windshield. totally false. it will with ease and go through both seats and ending up in the trunk.

i have used a 17 HMR at 50 years and penetrated a car windshield. i have shot 9mm, 40, 45 and a 44 spl. through one door and exiting the other.

most pistol caliber have plenty of power to penetrate car doors.

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

With all the testing they do in L.A. ya figure hollywood could get it right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrlUsaYlKPs

Old 11-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #6

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

They're more structurally designed to absorb impacts over a larger surface area. I don't think that was the intent behind engineering designs, but it's the effect. Honestly! I think engineers of old were just trying to make them look pretty.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19999 Times on 11369 Posts
Likes Given: 50455

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
They're more structurally designed to absorb impacts over a larger surface area. I don't think that was the intent behind engineering designs, but it's the effect. Honestly! I think engineers of old were just trying to make them look pretty.
car engineers design cars to absorb impact so that the passengers survice in an accident. they don't design them to be bulletproof.

tanks and armored cars are designed to be bulletproof.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #8

Liked 1974 Times on 1172 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Have been told in training that the best places to take up "cover" behind a car was to have the engine block and wheels between yourself and the shooter. The wheels and brake parts are a little heavier. Nothing is ideal but, those are probably the best options you've got.
I remember reading a newspaper article about a guy who had killed some people and he was running from the cops. He had packed his car with phone books and tried to run a roadblock . That pesky bullet through the windshield did him in.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #9

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I think this is a carry over from the Depression era Highway "Desperadoes." The heavy old Packard, Hudson Touring cars were rolling tanks. There were few firearms in police arsenals that would shoot thru a trunk lid.
The .357 Magnum was developed in 1935 to shoot through car bodies. Newer cars are lighter and modern firearms are more effective.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #10

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I remember reading a newspaper article about a guy who had killed some people and he was running from the cops. He had packed his car with phone books and tried to run a roadblock .
There is a Mythbusters episode about that. Can't remember how it went but I do remember that it was entertaining.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.