Hog Hunting - .223 or .7mm wsm - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hog Hunting - .223 or .7mm wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I keep reading how a Bolt in some way is inferior, or insinuated, you need a sidearm. .223 in a semi is the way to go... Really?? This sh!t is old. Have a nice day.
I hear you JP. It still boggles my mind at all the hogs we ground into sausage and put on a bar b q grill that we popped with 22 mag. I guess global warming has bred mutant ninja zombie pigs.
bamashooter68 Likes This 
Old 11-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #12

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I've hog hunted In Louisiana before hogs were pest. I've seen them charge my brother before I took him out with a lucky shot. A razor back is one thing but when they crossbread with domestic pigs they can get huge. I think the location you plan to hunt pigs dictates to what gun you use.
bamashooter68 Likes This 
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #13

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I hear you JP. It still boggles my mind at all the hogs we ground into sausage and put on a bar b q grill that we popped with 22 mag. I guess global warming has bred mutant ninja zombie pigs.
I think a tree stand or elevated shooting position would be in order w/ a .22WMR. But, I would agree with you. JMHO. I can put a 40gr HP .22WMR in a coyotes ear at 100 yards w/ mine. But, you are also talking an era when A lever or bolt was it. People could actually hunt and shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
I've hog hunted In Louisiana before hogs were pest. I've seen them charge my brother before I took him out with a lucky shot. A razor back is one thing but when they crossbread with domestic pigs they can get huge. I think the location you plan to hunt pigs dictates to what gun you use.
Pigs run from humans unless cornered or a sow w/ young. Hit them w/ mass weight, they don't get up. Hit them w/ an uber tactical rifle and a low mass bullet, you may have a PO'ed pig. I've sold every Semi Rifle caliber firearm I own. I am a big fan of the Mad minute w/ something larger. Having a rifle that is up to the task is #1. Being proficient is #2. Wearing the correct clothing such as chaps, or purpose made pants can go along way. I bought a pair of LL bean Kevlar chapped pants years ago, just for pigs.

The size of a feral pig has nothing to do w/ breading w/ domestic pigs. They all were domestic at one time. Finding Russian boar traits on feral pigs is a bigger deal.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
We hunted them with spotlights from the back of a truck. We hunted them with dogs. We trapped the durn things.

I am not saying you should not use your favorite deer, elk, moose or Sasquatch gun to shoot pigs to get some good practice. But if all you have is a .223, don't worry, go git ya some pork.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn
We hunted them with spotlights from the back of a truck. We hunted them with dogs. We trapped the durn things. I am not saying you should not use your favorite deer, elk, moose or Sasquatch gun to shoot pigs to get some good practice. But if all you have is a .223, don't worry, go git ya some pork.
I still have my LA lifetime license from when I was a kid. After deer season I'm driving down there for a weekend of fun with my cousins. All of those things are still legal in LA.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I still have my LA lifetime license from when I was a kid. After deer season I'm driving down there for a weekend of fun with my cousins. All of those things are still legal in LA.
I grew in FL, that is where my pig hunting took place.

I too invested in a lifetime LA hunting & fishing license while I was a resident of the Sportsman's Paradise. Best $500 I ever spent.

Bought my wife a lifetime fishing license, too.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Also if you are wanting a semi-auto with a little more power look into a 6.5 creedmoor or a 6.5 Grendel. Personally I think they would be great pig guns but iv never tried them in a semi-auto rifle.