Hog Hunting - .223 or .7mm wsm - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hog Hunting - .223 or .7mm wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I keep reading how a Bolt in some way is inferior, or insinuated, you need a sidearm. .223 in a semi is the way to go... Really?? This sh!t is old. Have a nice day.
I hear you JP. It still boggles my mind at all the hogs we ground into sausage and put on a bar b q grill that we popped with 22 mag. I guess global warming has bred mutant ninja zombie pigs.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #12

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I've hog hunted In Louisiana before hogs were pest. I've seen them charge my brother before I took him out with a lucky shot. A razor back is one thing but when they crossbread with domestic pigs they can get huge. I think the location you plan to hunt pigs dictates to what gun you use.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #13

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I hear you JP. It still boggles my mind at all the hogs we ground into sausage and put on a bar b q grill that we popped with 22 mag. I guess global warming has bred mutant ninja zombie pigs.
I think a tree stand or elevated shooting position would be in order w/ a .22WMR. But, I would agree with you. JMHO. I can put a 40gr HP .22WMR in a coyotes ear at 100 yards w/ mine. But, you are also talking an era when A lever or bolt was it. People could actually hunt and shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
I've hog hunted In Louisiana before hogs were pest. I've seen them charge my brother before I took him out with a lucky shot. A razor back is one thing but when they crossbread with domestic pigs they can get huge. I think the location you plan to hunt pigs dictates to what gun you use.
Pigs run from humans unless cornered or a sow w/ young. Hit them w/ mass weight, they don't get up. Hit them w/ an uber tactical rifle and a low mass bullet, you may have a PO'ed pig. I've sold every Semi Rifle caliber firearm I own. I am a big fan of the Mad minute w/ something larger. Having a rifle that is up to the task is #1. Being proficient is #2. Wearing the correct clothing such as chaps, or purpose made pants can go along way. I bought a pair of LL bean Kevlar chapped pants years ago, just for pigs.

The size of a feral pig has nothing to do w/ breading w/ domestic pigs. They all were domestic at one time. Finding Russian boar traits on feral pigs is a bigger deal.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
We hunted them with spotlights from the back of a truck. We hunted them with dogs. We trapped the durn things.

I am not saying you should not use your favorite deer, elk, moose or Sasquatch gun to shoot pigs to get some good practice. But if all you have is a .223, don't worry, go git ya some pork.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn
We hunted them with spotlights from the back of a truck. We hunted them with dogs. We trapped the durn things. I am not saying you should not use your favorite deer, elk, moose or Sasquatch gun to shoot pigs to get some good practice. But if all you have is a .223, don't worry, go git ya some pork.
I still have my LA lifetime license from when I was a kid. After deer season I'm driving down there for a weekend of fun with my cousins. All of those things are still legal in LA.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I still have my LA lifetime license from when I was a kid. After deer season I'm driving down there for a weekend of fun with my cousins. All of those things are still legal in LA.
I grew in FL, that is where my pig hunting took place.

I too invested in a lifetime LA hunting & fishing license while I was a resident of the Sportsman's Paradise. Best $500 I ever spent.

Bought my wife a lifetime fishing license, too.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Also if you are wanting a semi-auto with a little more power look into a 6.5 creedmoor or a 6.5 Grendel. Personally I think they would be great pig guns but iv never tried them in a semi-auto rifle.