Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hog Hunting - .223 or .7mm wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Default Hog Hunting - .223 or .7mm wsm

I was just curious to get some different opinions and perspectives. Would you find it more advantageous to use a .223 with a 20 round magazine or a .7mm wsm bolt action with 3 rounds?

I like the idea of having a lot of ammo to dump into a Texas hog but am not sure about the initial "make em drop on the spot" power. Either way I'd have a sidearm chambered in .40 caliber. The other side would be having less rounds but something that if you can put one on the mark that I would assume would do the trick without much need for follow up shots. Only problem is if you had one charging that the bolt action is slower and only 3 chances at it.

Thanks in advance and look forward to the input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #2

Liked 349 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_6Shooter View Post
I was just curious to get some different opinions and perspectives. Would you find it more advantageous to use a .223 with a 20 round magazine or a .7mm wsm bolt action with 3 rounds?

I like the idea of having a lot of ammo to dump into a Texas hog but am not sure about the initial "make em drop on the spot" power. Either way I'd have a sidearm chambered in .40 caliber. The other side would be having less rounds but something that if you can put one on the mark that I would assume would do the trick without much need for follow up shots. Only problem is if you had one charging that the bolt action is slower and only 3 chances at it.

Thanks in advance and look forward to the input.
7mm WSM for the fact that it's got more grunt behind it than a .223 and even if you wound a pig you'll be able to finish it off as it won't be all that mobile where as with a 20 shot mag on a .223 you'll be tempted to go into a spray and pray mode and probably wound more than you kill. Just my thoughts and if you've got a .40 cal sidearm you've got more than enough firepower to do the job.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3859 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
7mm WSM for the fact that it's got more grunt behind it than a .223 and even if you wound a pig you'll be able to finish it off as it won't be all that mobile where as with a 20 shot mag on a .223 you'll be tempted to go into a spray and pray mode and probably wound more than you kill. Just my thoughts and if you've got a .40 cal sidearm you've got more than enough firepower to do the job.
7mm WSM.
I carry an HK USP in .40 while hunting boar. I easily took down a charging boar with a double tap to the head. One would have been enough.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #4

Liked 141 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I live out west near Yellowstone, so we have no hogs, but I would think a big boar would be like shooting a good size black bear, and I would not attempt that with either of my .223's. Very small boar , maybe. The 7mm WSM might be overkill, but that's better than being undergunned. Eskimo's have killed polar bear with a .22 Hornet, but that doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do. Here's a pic of a very large Kodiak shot with a .17 Wildcat, but the guy (crazy ?) had a guide with a .458 standing by him.

.17-caliber-brown-bear.jpg  

Old 11-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I enjoyed reading the responses. It seemed like pretty consensus that the 7 short mag is the way to way to go. I guess by the time you went through all 3 rounds the next shot would be one charging and then the .40 is sufficient enough to put one down, especially if it was wounded from one of the three previous shots.

I would just have to try to be as good of a shot as the double tap you mentioned. It's reassuring that one shot from the pistol would've done the trick. How big was he and how far of a shot? With your .40 caliber pistol, what range do you feel comfortable and accurate?

I can't complain about the area that I'm in that we would also have to worry about bears. I spent a little time in Alaska and there are times that can be a bit unnerving, especially without some fire power. What is the caliber of choice per se in a pistol for a fella in bear country?

I don't know how he ended up in line with the monster of a bear but I have to tip my cap that he was able to even pose for a picture with that thing. I would definitely say that cig that he's puffing on was much needed and deserved!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you reload I agree with the 7mm being the best. I own a 270 WSM and it's VERY expensive to feed. That's my 2 cents.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

If you hog hunt with a bolt action, carry a side arm so you can dump some bullets into one if you get close and he's not really dead.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #8

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

A 223 has more than enough power to cleanly kill a hog. I like hunting them with a semi auto personally but a 7mmwsm should be good medicine for piggy's.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #9

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

I keep reading how a Bolt in some way is inferior, or insinuated, you need a sidearm. .223 in a semi is the way to go... Really?? This sh!t is old. Have a nice day.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Gatoragn Likes This 
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

okie,

The 223/5.56 is perfectly capable of killing a pig. Shot placement is the ticket. I try to shoot them behind the ear! I have killed a many of pig with the 223/5.56 as well as the 6.5 Grendel round both from the AR Rifle. But also with the idea of having a bunch of rounds as you stated can be an issue. If you hunt with the idea that each shot does not have to be as procise as possible because I have a lot of rounds. You are going to see a lot of pigs run off due to careless marksmanship. The 7MM WSM is an excellent caliber and would do the job well on a pig. And probably mentaly premote you to make more pricise shots. But either will work on the pigs. "ONE SHOT ONE KILL!"

OK

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy