Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   hk 91 vs fnh SCAR 17 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/hk-91-vs-fnh-scar-17-a-96672/)

Ultimate_sig 09-07-2013 02:33 AM

hk 91 vs fnh SCAR 17

If this two were boxing in a ring who would win? which one will last longer, which one is more accurate, if shtf which would you grab first?

JonM 09-07-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 1360729)
If this two were boxing in a ring who would win? which one will last longer, which one is more accurate

scar17 no question. its not even a contest

Ultimate_sig 09-07-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1360733)

scar17 no question. its not even a contest

Just curious because I watched a YouTube review on the hk and the guy was talking it up and said this rifle is rugged and will outlast any effing(fn pun) polymer rifle

JonM 09-07-2013 02:50 AM

hk91 isnta that great a rifle. they are rather delicate and dont stand up to abuse very well. when they do break you better have a armorer's bench handy to get it working again.

scar 17 only need a couple of punches and a hex wrench to do anything you need to do to it to affect repairs in the field. its got FN's outstanding full chromed hammer forged barrels. while neither has readily available parts in the US you are at least semi likely to find scar parts here and there that WILL fit the gun in a plug and play role. the hk91 not all parts are equal from gun to gun depending on which importer assembled it.

hk91 is a total skip to me. i wold sooner go FAL or M1A or even a mosin 91/30 than a hk91

this is what my scar17 does at 100 yards top hole is three shots bottom two are getting the acog sighted in

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/7361/img0688kbb.jpg

using handloads its quite capable of 1/3 moa at 100yards

Ultimate_sig 09-07-2013 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1360754)
hk91 isnta that great a rifle. they are rather delicate and dont stand up to abuse very well. when they do break you better have a armorer's bench handy to get it working again.

scar 17 only need a couple of punches and a hex wrench to do anything you need to do to it to affect repairs in the field. its got FN's outstanding full chromed hammer forged barrels. while neither has readily available parts in the US you are at least semi likely to find scar parts here and there that WILL fit the gun in a plug and play role. the hk91 not all parts are equal from gun to gun depending on which importer assembled it.

hk91 is a total skip to me. i wold sooner go FAL or M1A or even a mosin 91/30 than a hk91

this is what my scar17 does at 100 yards top hole is three shots bottom two are getting the acog sighted in

using handloads its quite capable of 1/3 moa at 100yards

So that top hole is there shots....that's incredible

kbd512 09-07-2013 07:06 AM

I owned a real HK-91, but when I shot it it seemed to own me.

I still own the SCAR 17S.

The HK-91 is not very ergonomic, heavy, muzzle heavy which is even worse, and recoil control is far, far worse than with the SCAR 17S.

The HK-91 is a decently accurate rifle, but it's not in the same league as a SCAR 17S or properly built M-14.

Steel may be more durable than polymer and aluminum, but the SCAR was purpose built for special forces and if there were durability problems with the rifle someone in combat would have discovered that the hard way. Although there may be some SF guy out there putting down bad guys with his trusty G-3, it's probably a pretty safe bet that a lot more of them are armed with Mk-17's.

On JonM's note about the Mosin, I can attest that even a Mosin Nagant has less violent recoil than a HK-91. If you don't believe that, go out and shoot both of them side-by-side.

JonM 09-07-2013 01:27 PM

aluminum recievers of proper grade of aluminum have proven far far more durable and stronger in firearms than stamped sheet steel. sheet steel is very easy to dent and on HK series its particularly vulnerable to denting. so much so units that were issued hk91 were also issued special forming blocks to remove the dents they would get that would sideline the things.

JonM 09-07-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 1360852)
So that top hole is there shots....that's incredible

its a VERY accurate rifle when using match grade handloads. off the shelf ammo like typical 147 grain fmj its a 1 inch to 1.5inch gun. ive never seen anything i couldnt squeeze less than 2inch groups out of.

my hunting load is hornady 150grain amax and its about a .8 moa loading at 100yards. i couldnt be more happier with the gun. now all that shooting was done with a stock trigger i recently upgraded to the giesselle super scar trigger system but havent had a chance to try it out.

1911love 09-09-2013 02:11 AM

I've got a 91/30 and can't believe a 91 kicks more! 10-20 rounds of 203gr soft point and my shoulder hurts, I've never shot a 91 though. I would think a semi would kick less, I wonder why it has so much recoil according to you guys who have shot both.

TheSadPanda 09-10-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911love
I've got a 91/30 and can't believe a 91 kicks more! 10-20 rounds of 203gr soft point and my shoulder hurts, I've never shot a 91 though. I would think a semi would kick less, I wonder why it has so much recoil according to you guys who have shot both.

They might be naturally over-gassed for "functionality purposes"