Hinged floor plate or detachable box?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hinged floor plate or detachable box?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Hinged floor plate or detachable box?

Does one provide more rigidity to the rifle (and accuracy)? Or is it just personal preference?

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2011, 05:33 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Does one provide more rigidity to the rifle (and accuracy)? Or is it just personal preference?
The hinged floor plate was just for easy dumping of the ammo. Had one in an old lever action .308. I believe the box you speak of is the one used in the M1 Garand in WWII. That made for speed of reloading as opposed to speed of unloading.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I know what the practical bennefits of each one are for, I was talking about if one adds more rigidity to the stock than the other. I know internal box is superior in rigidity to either of those two and single shot is best, but out of hinged floor plate and a detachable box magazine, which one adds more rigidity? Or is the difference negligible and its just personal preference?

Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
I know what the practical bennefits of each one are for, I was talking about if one adds more rigidity to the stock than the other. I know internal box is superior in rigidity to either of those two and single shot is best, but out of hinged floor plate and a detachable box magazine, which one adds more rigidity? Or is the difference negligible and its just personal preference?
it doesnt matter. a rifle typically is not secured by the magazine. they are bedded off the reciever at the rear and front. there is no real difference. long as the stock isnt made of balsa wood or rubber rigidity isnt a factor as the bullet has left the barrel before the effects of recoil start.

the stock is all about ergonomics and making sure the rifle is properly bedded.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #5

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Jon is right, no difference, but a hinged floor plate can't be lost. I've had friends loose mags while walking in the woods. They are not cheap to replace. Can ruin a day of hunting real fast!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input. I got my mind set on a savage model 11 but i could'nt decide between a 11fcns or a 11fhns. Both are the same price so I will have to decide wether i want a hinged floorplate or a detachable box mag.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

It makes no difference on practical accuracy. Personally I prefer a detachable mag for the convenience. I like to carry an extra loaded mag in my jacket pocket when deer or elk hunting.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!