Herter's U9 Supreme
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Herter's U9 Supreme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Default Herter's U9 Supreme

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I may know about the Herters U9 Supreme in 30.06. I have a chance to get one but have never heard of them. Thanks eceryonen

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I'm not familiar with it. A quick search on gunbroker taught me that is a British rifle and they had one with No bids listed for just under $700

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #3

This one is the supreme model with the walnut stock and deep gloss blueing, from the pictures it looks great. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

Veritas Aequitas

Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #4

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just google Herters U9 rifle and you'll find some info on the rifle. Basically Herters imported the rifle from England....rifle is made by BSA (Birmingham small arms) BSA made the rifle from around 66 to 74 and also sold it under their Name.

Own a 6mm Remington Herters U9 myself that I found in a local pawn shop a couple of years ago. It had been well used and not well taken care of. Must have spent several hours cleaning its bore. Pleased to find the bore was still in good shape. Trigger pull on mine leaves a lot to be desired, lots of creep. Some previous owner did a bad job of trying to hone the trigger sear too. But, rifle is fairly accurate, dispite the trigger. 1" or less groups at 100 yds....have had 1/2" to 3/4" groups.

If top of the receiver is machined for a scope mount and their are no rings with the rifle, you may have a problem finding the rings to fit the grooves.....kinda unusual size. Mine came with rings, but were too low for scope I wanted to use. Lucky for me, a fellow range member saw my rifle at range and I told him my problem with rings......week or so later he'd dug through his collection of parts from years of shooting and actually had the rings I needed. Just viewed a pic of a U9 Herters and noticed on the rifle, someone had reworked and drilled and tapped the BSA machined mount and installed weaver scope mounts on top of it.

Also, to remove the bolt from receiver: open bolt and pull it back a little, then push forward on the trigger, while pulling back the bolt. Should come out.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:29 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1180 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 571

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige91603 View Post
Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I may know about the Herters U9 Supreme in 30.06. I have a chance to get one but have never heard of them. Thanks eceryonen
BSA built some fairly nice rifles. The bad thing about buying a gun that is no longer produced is trying to find parts and accessories that will fit on that particular rifle.
It would be a bad thing to buy a rifle,only to have it become a wall hanger because you can't find parts for it if needed.

I'd suggest buying a rifle that is a common model,and not an obsolete brand.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #6

I opted to trade for a Stoeger m2000 combo rather than the U9. Really didn't need the u9 or know anything about it.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1524 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 532

I wouldn't be very happy with a 30/06 with a dovetail scope mount. The dovetail scope mount would be a deal breaker for me.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I don't know anything about the rifle and I know you decided not to trade for it but I thought you might find these interesting. I scanned them from a 1974 Herter's catalog. Actually I have thought about starting a thread with a few pages from some old gun books. I have several old catalogs, all the Gun Digest from the #1 from 1944 to today and most of the Shooters Bibles the oldest being #9 from 1929. I'll give that some thought. Anyway I hope these are of some interest to you.

img020.jpg   img022.jpg   img023.jpg   img024.jpg   img025.jpg  

img026.jpg   img027.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis