Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Here is a HELL of a good argument for having a "silent" meat taking gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/here-hell-good-argument-having-silent-meat-taking-gun-38976/)

Dillinger 02-25-2011 06:26 PM

Here is a HELL of a good argument for having a "silent" meat taking gun

Everyone has a basic idea of what they need for their version of SHTF. Recently Lady Samples posted a very thought provoking thread about it.

One of the things that is often overlooked is the ability to hunt or take meat quietly without setting all the birds in two counties into flight and holding up a neon sign that says "HERE I AM".

Found a nifty little piece of history today and thought I would share it with you all as "food" for thought.

Samples.32 02-25-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 453215)
Everyone has a basic idea of what they need for their version of SHTF. Recently Lady Samples posted a very thought provoking thread about it.

One of the things that is often overlooked is the ability to hunt or take meat quietly without setting all the birds in two counties into flight and holding up a neon sign that says "HERE I AM".

Found a nifty little piece of history today and thought I would share it with you all as "food" for thought.

Anschutz actually makes good hunting air rifles speaking of

Dillinger 02-25-2011 06:50 PM

And the Lady knows her air rifles. ;)

Anschutz has been turning out some excellent quality air rifles, air pistols, & shotguns for like 150 years. Something like that. Top quality stuff and not cheap, but worth the investment.

Neophyte1 02-25-2011 06:51 PM

Good History

Dillinger: Sir, what a story. I didn't have any idea. Thanks for sharing ''history'':)

safedman 02-25-2011 06:55 PM

Thank you for sharing. I learned something new today.
I like my pellet gun for rabbit. Works fine.

Samples.32 02-25-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 453232)
And the Lady knows her air rifles. ;)

Anschutz has been turning out some excellent quality air rifles, air pistols, & shotguns for like 150 years. Something like that. Top quality stuff and not cheap, but worth the investment.

I told you I got an anschutz 22 didn't I?

orangello 02-25-2011 07:34 PM

Nobody would hear you if you were picking berries and depriving bears of vital forage. :D

Davyboy 02-25-2011 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out the air arms S410 .22. Had one for years. Deadly on bunnies at 60 yards, legal in UK at up to 12 ft lbs. Good for 60 shots on one charge. Can be modded up to 40 ft lbs. Not that I would ever attempt this as it is not legal :rolleyes:

c3shooter 02-26-2011 12:35 AM

PCP (pre charged Pneumatics) can be quite powerful (deer hunting)- but not really quiet.

Have an old Sheridan Blue Streak in 5mm that will drop a squirrel at 45 yards. CCI CB Longs are about as quiet as a well suppressed rifle. Braided metal fishing line leader also makes very good small game snares.

Win73 02-26-2011 02:17 AM

My crossbow is probably louder than an air gun but not near as loud as a rifle.