Henry, Winchester, Marlin, others? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Henry, Winchester, Marlin, others?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

My Marlin ejects the cartridge from the side.

Makes it easier to mount a scope, regardless

of caliber.

An earlier model, as others have wisely stated,

would be in order.

Sometimes, with used rifles, the seller throws in

a decent scope, sling, and case with the sale.

Last edited by therewolf; 03-11-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1104 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

To the OP, your caliber choices are like saying I am going to a dance and I want to dance with a fat girl, or a skinny girl.

One cartridge is primarily a handgun cartridge to make it possible to have one size ammo available for both your rifle as well as your revolver. The 30-30 is a dedicated rifle cartridge with a rich history going back to the American west in many lever action rifles.

I have a Winchester model 1894, made in 1898 in 30-30.

The lever action calibers in handgun rounds are a compromise. Not necessarily a bad choice, but usually paired with a matching sidearm.

I have on my Xmas list the Rossi Ranch Hand in 44 mag because I like the novelty of it, and because it is as close to a tax stamp weapon as one can get. I have a Ruger RedHawk, and to have a short barrel, short stock rifle (anybody that thinks the Ranch Hand is a pistol is crackers) to compliment my revolver caliber.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I have a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 - Great Gun, and a Henry Heavy Octagon Barrel Golden Boy in .22 Mag - Awesome Gun. The Henry has the absolute smoothest action out of any lever action I have ever handled. I like the Henry 30-30 except for the fact that it is still a tube load like the .22's.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
To the OP, your caliber choices are like saying I am going to a dance and I want to dance with a fat girl, or a skinny girl.

One cartridge is primarily a handgun cartridge to make it possible to have one size ammo available for both your rifle as well as your revolver. The 30-30 is a dedicated rifle cartridge with a rich history going back to the American west in many lever action rifles.

I have a Winchester model 1894, made in 1898 in 30-30.

The lever action calibers in handgun rounds are a compromise. Not necessarily a bad choice, but usually paired with a matching sidearm.

I have on my Xmas list the Rossi Ranch Hand in 44 mag because I like the novelty of it, and because it is as close to a tax stamp weapon as one can get. I have a Ruger RedHawk, and to have a short barrel, short stock rifle (anybody that thinks the Ranch Hand is a pistol is crackers) to compliment my revolver caliber.

You are correct, I already have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 357mag so that is why I was asking about that caliber. The reason I am considering the 30-30 is because I had one when I was younger but it went bye bye when my parents house burnt down many years ago. Thank you all for your input. I can read magazine after magazine but I really like the input I get from here and first hand experiences many have encountered. Thanks again and take care to all.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!