Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help, what do I have?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help, what do I have?

Hello all, new to forum. I have rifle given to me in 303 british that the barrel is shot out. Please help identify what i have, as I would like to rebarrel in either 308 or 30-06 if possible, as that is what i'm allready shooting. I also don't know if bolt will work as 303 has bottom rim on cartridge and 308 and 30-06 do not. The rifle has a timney trigger and the stock is nice so I think this might be worth doing? Please give thoughts and suggestions. Thank you.

img_0167.jpg   img_0170.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It looks like you have either a sporterized Enfield Pattern 14 or 1917. Are you SURE it's chambered for the .303? If it's chambered for the 303 you'll have to get another bolt when rebarreling as the rim diameter of the 303 is .540 whereas the rim diameter of the .308 and 30-06 is .473.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I am with Bear on this one.

I think it is a 1917 but if it is a 303 then it is a P-14. The belly looks more like a 14 than a 17.

I would either cast the chamber with some cerro-safe or have it done.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #4

Thanks for info.This is 303 rifle. I think it might be easier to sell gun as is and buy new 308 bolt rifle. Not sure how to find the right bolt to convert, etc.. Not sure what you mean by cast the chamber. Any thoughts as to what this is worth, I have about 700 rnds of ammo to go with it. Just not interested in shotting it up, as the rifle is not very accurate, even with scope.Again thanks for info.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #5

I looked closer over gun and there is the marking FRA on it. Is this a munufacturers mark. If so who would it be. Thanks

Old 03-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
Thanks for info.This is 303 rifle. I think it might be easier to sell gun as is and buy new 308 bolt rifle. Not sure how to find the right bolt to convert, etc.. Not sure what you mean by cast the chamber. Any thoughts as to what this is worth, I have about 700 rnds of ammo to go with it. Just not interested in shotting it up, as the rifle is not very accurate, even with scope.Again thanks for info.
PM inbound.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I highly doubt that the barrel is shot out. I would give it a very very good cleaning. using some hard core copper solvent like Sweets or even the Outers Foul out electrolis (SP) system. Your barrel just may have not been cleaned very well over the years and just needs a good hard core scrubbing. It is a nice looking rifle and the 303 brit is not a bad round for hunting.

You find shot out barrel mainly on small caliber high velocity rounds like the 220 Swift and 22-250.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #8

Thanks cpttango30, I will try the cleaning and also a different scope, as the inaccuracy may be from a bad scope that came with gun? The person that gave me the gun said it was shot out, I really have no way of measuring. Guess I need to find local gunsmith for that. Thanks again to all.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #9

Remington contracted with the British government before we got into WWI to build the pattern 14 Enfields. Since the British standard caliber was .303, that's what the rifles were chambered in. After we got into the war, our War Department needed the rifles and Remington figured they could easily make Enfields in .30-06 with some minor changes. That's what happened. You have one of the British contract .303's made before Remington changed over production of the Enfields to .30-06 for our country.

It my be worth more to a collector than a new rifle. Since this was a foreign rifle, it would be hard to get them here and I would try selling it if it doesn't have too much sentimental value.

Fast Ed