Help with scope decision for a 270
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help with scope decision for a 270

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help with scope decision for a 270

Guys,

Thanks in advance for your advice.

My first deer rifle has served me well. I bought a used .270 win a the gun show. It has an zoom scope on it - a Bushnell sportview with Weaver mounts.

After spotting the scope in this fall, I took 2 deer this season with this unit, and 1 was a head shot from about 80 yards. The other was a thorax shot from 125 or so.

All in all, for the investment, I am more than pleased.

However, I have my 2008 Wyoming non-resident hunting license application and am looking forward to doing some antelope hunting with my buddies.

It sounds like Wy antelope is a bit different from Michigan deer hunting which is pretty much like shootin fish in a barrel.

I am soliciting advice on the scope, beyond the advice I read on the varmint gun where the writer advised to buy as much scope as you can sneak past the little lady . To be sure, the little lady presents issues on this scope purchase, but I am so far happy, and do not want to spend $$ I don't need to.

Do you think my scope and mounts are going to serve me well through the rigors of distance, temperature, wind, etc of Wyoming antelope hunting?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

First welcome aboard. I would recomand you get a Leupold. The 3 x 9 is a real good range for a hunting rifle. I would recomand the Vari Xll in 3 x 9 or a step better would be the Vari Xlll in 3.5 x 10. I`ve lot count of the rifles and scopes I have but I`m some where over 30 Leupold scopes and that is what I have on all of my rifles.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 12-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Wyoming Hunt

The odds are that you will have no problems with the gear you have (assuming everything you have is in good work order). That said, if I was going to make the trip from Michigan to Wyoming I would strongly consider investing in a scope/gun upgrade.
Since you are asking for advice I would be willing to bet you feel that a change/upgrade is needed. If you don't have a complete level of confidence in your gear, then I would replace it. Making a shot is about more than just the hardware you are using. You may not ever get to make this trip again, why have to second guess every shot (and maybe the only shot) you will get on this trip?
All that said, go Leupold scope on top of Leupold bases. Yes there are as good or better scopes out there. Yes there are less expensive or more expensive scopes out there. All that said, Leupold is the brand I am most comfortable recommending to put on top of a centerfire hunting rifle. In the Leupold "Rifleman" series you can get all the scope you will ever need for under $200. Scope and bases is south of $250, not bad for peace of mind!
Now, if the budget will stand it, I would go up to a 7mm Remington Magnum. A flat hard hitting shooter in a bolt action, matte finish, synthetic stock. More recoil than your 270, but more options than your 270 (i.e. range, bullet weights, and less need for range estimates). Also, you can find ammo for it at any Wal-Mart. If you are ever away from home on a hunt and realize you don't have ammo, for whatever reason, there is usally a Wal-Mart closer to you that an exotic ammo emporium.
By selling or trading in your present rig it might not be that much of a finanical stretch to get the rig I described. Or you could just go to the range with your 270 and shoot until your shoulder turns black and blue. After that you and that 270 might be bonded for life.
John Q.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'd just run your current setup, but put a dozen rounds through it once you get to Wyoming, just to be sure you're still zeroed at the new attitude and climate.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Scope

There's a few choices that won't break your bank. I HIGHLY reccomend you upgrade scope,speaking as gunsmith with 26+ years experience. Here's why: NO offence but you have a cheaply made scope and odds are that it'll leak/get knocked outta zero/fail/or otherwise mess up on you sometime in future. A good scope is CHEAP ins to assure a lifetime of great service. Spending that much on a hunt with a 30 dollar scope don't make sense.
Leupold vari x 2,burris full field 2 or nikon prostaff all come in 3x-9x-40mm and weaver V10 comes in 2x-10x-38mm and all these scopes are 150-200 will serve you without EVER wishing you had a better scope.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:16 AM   #6

Default Thanks

Thanks gents.

Your advice is well taken, pretty much what I expected.

I'll count on gettin me a new scope, Leupold probably.

I like the rifle, I think the .270 is enough fire power to ruin the day for any deer or antelope, most elk probably, too.

BTW a buddy of mine I was hunting with last month took a doe with a 7mm weatherby. Now that's a CANNON! Nice piece of hardware, but more like artillery than a rifle, maybe a bit over the top for deer and antelope.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #7

Default wyoming gun

I have both a 270 and a 7mm rem mag. I also have relatives in wyoming,but havent hunted there YET!! When I do go BOTH guns are going along. For the 270, I'll probably shoot Hornady Light mag ammo(if I dont use handloads) with the SST bullet. I have an old(but very reliable) Tasco 3-9 scope on it now,but for a special trip, would step up to better optics. On my 7 mag, I have a Nikon scope and really like it, but you will NEVER go wrong with a Leupold. I have never heard of anyone having problems with them. 3-9X40 is a good all around scope,but for out there,consider a 4.5-14X. You might appreciate the extra magnification at longer ranges of antelope hunting. I also would be looking at spending $200 as a starting point for a decent scope. Good luck, the 270 is plenty of gun.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #8

By the way, my 270 was bought used almost 20 years ago and even though my 7 mag is a much prettier rifle, the 270 is my favorite to shoot. Both are Remington 700's, both will print cloverleaf groups from the bench with factory ammo. The old 270 just feels like your favorite slippers every time I shoulder it.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 PM   #9

Default comment on the bayonet clamps on bolt

Gents,

Great stuff. Please comment on the bayonets which clamp the bolt closed.

My old .270 has a twin clamp bayonet - the feature that hold the bolt nice and tight in the chamber. I compared this with my buddies 7mm Weatherby which had 6 bayonets around the circumference of the bolt, and three rows of these little bayonets - for a total of 18 clamping nibs on the bolt.

Will I run into repeatability issues in terms of the dimensional mounting of the cartridge in the chamber with this old gun?

Again, this is related to the 600 yard shot I might have to take in Wy, compared to the Michigan deer hunting - which is almost easier with a hatchet than a firearm!! LOL.

Again, thanks a lot gents. A new scope - Leupold or Nikon is in the plans. Funny thing about that - that's just what I though the little lady had in mind for herself this year!!

Old 12-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bayonet Clamp?

I must confess that I have never heard the term "bayonet clamp" used. I assume you are talking about the bolt locking lugs, and if there was a wear issue their that affected bolk lock-up, well you would have all kinds of problems that would have already shown up!
Different gun makers use different locking lug patterns mainly to be different from each other. Is one better than the other? Do you like Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, or Chevrolet trucks? Any one will get the job done!
John Q.