Help with rifle choice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help with rifle choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Buy the pre-'64 Winchester and don't look back.

That is THE Rifleman's Rifle, and it's chambered in God's own cartridge.

A .30-06 in a Pre-'64 Winchester is exactly what Carlos used in Vietnam to do some serious damage.

You could probably strip everything off the weapon and sell just the action to someone like me for what the guy wants for the gun, unless he knows what that action is truly worth....
Why do you think I wanted it!??!? I was going to play Hathcock in the back yard and get rid of that dang cat that keeps trying to get into my trash can!!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
A friend has two rifles he wants to sell.

The first is a Husqvarna 7mm.

Or a Winchester model 70 1930s era in 30-06

I am going to check them out next week. Haven't talked price yet. Any thoughts or suggestions for when I look at them?
You don't say what 7mm round the Husqvarna is chambered in, but some will match or come close to the 06 in muzzle energy, so from that standpoint the game you can hunt will be basically the same with either.

I believe Husqvarna ended rifle manufacturing in the mid 70's but were in the business for many years so you might want to check out the date of manufacture as there might be some collector's value, or possibly will be in the future. Also Swedish iron ore is the best in in the world and the Swiss are known for manufacturing excellent barrels.

You don't mention if the rifles are the same price, but if they are, I believe I would go with the Husqvarna.

F. Prefect

Old 09-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll go look this week. I'll let you know what prices we talk and if it still sounds good.

The safe has room for both...dont know that the wallet does!