Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Help with problem with Savage model 25!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/help-problem-savage-model-25-a-33620/)

lonyaeger 10-27-2010 03:14 PM

Help with problem with Savage model 25!!!

I have a new Savage model 25 lightweight varmint chambered in .223.

After mounting the scope last night and swabbing out the bore getting it ready for the range, I routinely loaded one of my handloaded cartridges into the magazine to check for fit. It fit the magazine, but I couldn't close the bolt.

Tried a factory cartridge....same thing. Tried an empty case. Got it in, but with too much effort.

Called Savage and they asked about the scope base. I told them I used the ones that came with the rifle and used 15 inch-pounds of torque on the screws. They said to back out the screws, maybe they're seated too deep. I did that, and still can't close the bolt.

Now if I push on the back of the bolt with a cartridge seated as far as I can get it, I get a solid click and the bolt pushes a little forward and I am finally able to close the bolt.

Called Savage back and they said to either send them back the rifle or take it to a local smith and have him call them so they can authorize the repair.

Either of those options will take a long time, and there is no guarantee a smith can fix it if it's a headspace problem. That means now for sure I have to send it back to Savage and even more time out of my hands!

Anybody have any ideas? Do I have a right to be pissed?

Highpower 10-27-2010 03:42 PM

Maybe an extractor problem?

If it's new, I would send it back and let the factory take care of it no matter how long it takes. But that's just me.

Are you feeding a single round into the chamber, or are you feeding the round from the magazine?

lonyaeger 10-27-2010 03:44 PM

Once I get a cartridge seated and the bolt closed, it extracts fine...........?

CA357 10-27-2010 04:53 PM

Send it back for their inspection and service Lon. It's a new rifle, do it right. In the interim, go shoot some of your other stuff to soothe the pain. ;)

lonyaeger 10-27-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 375556)
Send it back for their inspection and service Lon. It's a new rifle, do it right. In the interim, go shoot some of your other stuff to soothe the pain. ;)

Oh, alright....(gratuitous snotkid photo).

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...rucci_snot.jpg

lonyaeger 10-27-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highpower (Post 375501)

Are you feeding a single round into the chamber, or are you feeding the round from the magazine?

Both.....!

cpttango30 10-27-2010 05:36 PM

WAIT

Take a cartridge and smoke it (NOT THAT WAY)(Light a match and let the soot build up on the bullet neck and shoulder. Now being careful load the round and get it to go as far as you can. Now extract it and see what the case bullet and shoulder look like.

If all the black is rubbed off the shoulder then you have a really tight chamber. If you see marks on the bullet then you need to seat the bullet deeper.

c3shooter 10-27-2010 05:37 PM

Reason for extractor question- if not slipping over the head to grip the groove on the cartridge, would prevent bolt from going into battery. Might want to check that extractor is free to move. Me- would send it back most ricky tick.

lonyaeger 10-27-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 375575)

If all the black is rubbed off the shoulder then you have a really tight chamber. If you see marks on the bullet then you need to seat the bullet deeper.

So what is the fix for a really tight chamber?

The only thing about seating the bullet deeper is that it was the same problem with good ole' factory Hornady V-Max!

lonyaeger 10-27-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 375576)
Reason for extractor question- if not slipping over the head to grip the groove on the cartridge, would prevent bolt from going into battery. Might want to check that extractor is free to move. Me- would send it back most ricky tick.

Thanks, I already have it boxed up ready to go, so your extractor thought is going to be bugging the crap out of me the whole time the rifle is gone.

BUT....the extractor DID grab and extract every time I got a case or a cartridge fully chambered. If I was able to do that, wouldn't it indicate that the extractor is okay?