Help Needed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help Needed

A friend loaded some cartridges for my single shot .243. I inserted a newly loaded cartridge into the chamber and attempted to snap the barrel into position. Big mistake. The cartridge did not fully seat into the chamber and is now stuck. I am assuming he did not do a full resize on the cartridge before he loaded it. Any suggestions as to how the thing can be removed from the chamber?

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1342 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Is the rifle locked & loaded with a live round, if yes shoot it that will fire form it, if you can`t get it shut & locked, you should be able to pry it out by the rim.

When all else fails.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

if you can open it, I would punch it out with a ramrod.
BUT, that can be dangerous. I never like to put any body part in front of a live round. For obvious reasons, this could very easily blow your hand off.
What I would do, and what should be done, aren't always the same thing.

Prying it out by the rim, such as 303Tom mentioned, is definitely the safer of the 2

Old 10-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #4

Liked 117 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default stuck ctg's

You learnd the same lesson I learnd 1987, as you have a single shot break action, I bet that Ctg is stuck in there really tight, I'd suggest going to a metal shop and buying 3 brazeing rods and hammer that stuck ctg out (be shure to use lots of penetrating oil to kill the primer)

I was useing my grandfathers Rem 721 30-06, a co-worker stated his reloads were very accurate and gave me 10 to try, Friday night after work I loaded 3 in the mag and tried to chamber one, the bolt wouldnt quite make it all the way forward to close, stupidly I bumped the bolt fwd a couple times to get her stuffed in there good and tite......, so I tried extracting it, only the ctg wouldnt come out even with me bumping heavily with palm of my hand (end of Day #1), Saturday I tried a rubber mallet and the extractor pulled off the ctg so I removed the bolt and the two other ctgs, I tried some wd-40 down the barrel and from the rear (breech end)then tried useing my cleaning rod to remove it.....I ruined the cleaning rod (End of Saturday night not happy), Monday after work our shop machinist said to use a brass rod and beat it, Got home after work and went to shop and placed 3 brass brazing rod's down the muzzle (only brass rod I had), useing a ballpeen hammer I drove the slug back into the case, all the while I kept squirting penetrant oil from both ends in hopes the Ctg would free, I musta soaked the powder & primer because Iwas really scared the whole time wondering if she was gonna ignite while I was whacking away at that ctg, with some really hard pounding the stuck case dropped from the chamber (Monday night ended on a happy note), I gave back the reloads to my friend and said the one ctg was enuf for me. I never told him of the stuck case trama that lasted 3 days extracting the one.

I had 3 Mosins, I had one them Lee mallet reloading kits I reloaded for only the T53, I never tried loading T53 reloads in the Finn P-27 or the Tula 91/30

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 10-15-2011 at 05:10 AM.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
A friend loaded some cartridges
Never, ever trust reloads from somebody else. You don't really
save any money and (as you already know) can cause real
problems.
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the help everyone. The offending cartridge was removed safely with the aid of a wooden dowel. No explosion, no damage and no injury.

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Glad to hear it.