Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > help for my friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default help for my friend

My friend is trying to decide between buying a savage 338 (no clue what model) or a m1a1 socom 2 308. I know nothing bout the two so I cannot really help him. Your help is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I don't know much about the 338 (is it a RUM or a Lapua?), but I hear the m1a1 is a great gun. I think the ammo for it is cheaper too. (especially if he was talking about the lapua). They should both be extremely accurate guns.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hes looking at lapua. I told him the ammo for that is pretty expensive.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Unless your friend has someplace to really shoot a 338 lapua and in my opinion,would be having access to a minimum of 500 yard shots with it,buying a caliber like that is just wasting money,if the user doesn't possess the skills needed to operate it.
Your friend should also be an experienced shooter for a weapon like this.They were designed for long range shooting-1000 yards,and farther.And 99.9% of the people that want them,don't possess the skills to shoot them.

Please don't take this the wrong way,but there are a lot of experienced shooters that are tired of inexperienced shooters that say-I want to shoot Long Range.
It takes years of experience to shoot long range.You don't just go out and buy a rifle that will shoot 1000yds,load it,and all of a sudden start blasting rounds down range to the target.
You need to be able to shoot very good at short range before you start wanting to shoot at the longer ones.Then you need to know Ballistics,Wind,Weather,Spin drift,and even the Rotation of the earth to be a good long range shooter.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I think the 338 lapua can reach out to longer distances then the .308, but they are expensive. What exactly is he wanting to do? If he's wanting a really long range, really accurate rifle, and doesn't care about the cost, the .338 would be good for that. If he is wanting an accurate rifle for fun at the range, the .308 is a really good choice.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 155

The M1A SOCOM is a very handy rifle capable of good accuracy out to maybe 500 yards. The .308 will take any deer sized game with little difficulty. The .338 Lapua is a fine LONG range round. Shooting one at under 500 yards seems a bit silly. Ammo is at least 2X as expensive than the .308 and very limited availability. Comparing one to the other is like comparing apples to tractor trailers. IMHO, many people who buy .338's are doing so because they want the biggest, baddest, most useless rifle they can own. Kind of like people who wanted the .44 mag 40 years ago or the .500 S&W today. Most have absolutely no business owning anything that powerful.

Before I get flamed for these opinions let me say this; All the above listed calibers have a place. Most of the owners have no clue what that place is. They just want to stroke their egos and appear as macho as possible. 95% cannot hit the broad side of a barn with them. They would be better served with a really loud and firey blank gun. I have a .45-70 that is just fun to shoot (for me). I have no real purpose for it except to sling large chunks of lead through solid objects. Yes, I can shoot it accurately, but few around me want to shoot it and I'm OK with that.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
Unless your friend has someplace to really shoot a 338 lapua and in my opinion,would be having access to a minimum of 500 yard shots with it,buying a caliber like that is just wasting money,if the user doesn't possess the skills needed to operate it.
Your friend should also be an experienced shooter for a weapon like this.They were designed for long range shooting-1000 yards,and farther.And 99.9% of the people that want them,don't possess the skills to shoot them.

Please don't take this the wrong way,but there are a lot of experienced shooters that are tired of inexperienced shooters that say-I want to shoot Long Range.
It takes years of experience to shoot long range.You don't just go out and buy a rifle that will shoot 1000yds,load it,and all of a sudden start blasting rounds down range to the target.
You need to be able to shoot very good at short range before you start wanting to shoot at the longer ones.Then you need to know Ballistics,Wind,Weather,Spin drift,and even the Rotation of the earth to be a good long range shooter.
Agree with you completely

Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys I was trying to talk him into 308 and now after I told him what u guys said hes getting 308 now. I appreciate all the help!