help me sort out this mosin 91/59 i just picked up, ftfeed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > help me sort out this mosin 91/59 i just picked up, ftfeed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default help me sort out this mosin 91/59 i just picked up, ftfeed

Sorry if the extra thread is in bad taste but I figured it may get a little more respnse than the picture post. Here goes, went out with 4 rds of ammo to try out the mosin 91/59 I just picked up and I am hoping someone can offer insight.

I went to load a round and I couldn't get the bolt closed all the way.( the bolt binds a little anyhow with the side bolt handle) I then tried filling the magazine from the top and couldn't get them to feed up. Now I only stacked one in and tried racking it into tha chamber. So I gave up and dropped the round in the chamber and still couldn't close the bolt. I pulled the bolt, put the round int the bolt under the ejector and very carefully installed it as a unit. I closed the bolt and fired. Gun went boom, round ejected like it should. So I did this this way three times. I determined the extractor won't go up and around the rim. For full battery. Can anyone offer advice on this. Also the "retainer" tab in the magazine...what actually tips that to let the next round in? I don't have anymore ammo, I need to borrow a few more rounds just try cycling through the magazine. Any advice is much appreciated, hope someone can help. This gun actually shoots pretty close I was just shooting at the ground but hit the clump I aimed at about 75 yds away.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Did you clean the chamber? If so cycle it like a man that should help.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Liked 1449 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 337

For heaven's sake, first, buy more ammo!

The usual problem with feeding is 75 years of crud (grease/shellac) hardening in the chamber. Clean it until you get a metal shine. The other issue could be head-space, but few of the re-furbished rifles have head space issues.

With rimmed cartridges, the rim of the number two cartridge in the magazine needs to be in front of number one, number three in front of number 2, etc.

I have somewhere close to fifty of these rifles and I have not had any problems after they were properly cleaned.

Good luck!

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #4

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

Pull the bolt. Attach a section of cleaning rod to a drill.

Put a 20 gauge swab on the end of the rod. Use Dawn

dishwashing liquid, Simple Green, Awesome, Spray Nine,

or the like. Clean the chamber thoroughly, from the buttstock

end of the rifle.

Then field-strip and clean the entire rifle. Google methods,

there are many. Here in the US, most manufacturers

deliver unto you a ready-to-fire weapon.

Combloc milsurp is VERY different. You will generally

get any direct delivery to the initial user here covered

in about 1/2 pound of gloppy preservative loosely termed

"Cosmoline". AFAIK, that's Latin for "goo which creates

hellish jams if it's not removed before using".

Old 04-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Check head spacing, that seems to be the problem. And that cosmoline is a #$@## so MAKE SURE ITS ALL OUT

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

It shot fine and ejected fine but I had to place the rim under the ejector. I will try cleaning the chamber. I figure either the extractor is sticking or it is built up in the slot the extractor has to move in and not allowing it to latch on. I tried man handling it a little but no luck. And I always need more ammo!

Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #7

Liked 185 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 56

There are a lot of Youtube videos on fixing the Mosin. Go to Youtube and put in "sticky bolt" as a search term. One by the Youtuber "Iraqveteran8888" is pretty good. He uses a polishing compound, a bore brush and an electric drill.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks I will look that up.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8845 Times on 3829 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

Study up on taking the bolt down. The extractor is not opening up enough to get over that honking great rim. Clean the daylights out of it, and lube it.

The directions to clean the chamber will not hurt, but I think your problem is at the extractor, not the chamber. It is GENERALLY not reccomended that you remove the extractor for cleaning- but I would at least one time for this one.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/finnishmosin/boltdisassembly/index.asp

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

therewolf Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Ok I can get a bolt end and extractor for 25 but need to check my head space if I replace that. Doesn't that mean I need to buy guages? I really don't want to turn this into a big thing. Ill keep looking for an extractor I guess. I d/a the bcg and the extractor is tucked in so close that the point of it will just butt right against the back of the case. I don't know if that is actually an issue or not.