Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > help me prove him wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default help me prove him wrong

me and a buddy went out to the range today to shoot his ar-15 shot barrel with a muzzle break. probably my favorite rifle i have ever shot but anyway me and him made a bet and the winner has to buy the other person a box of rounds of our choice. he seems to think his ar with break is louder than a .308 or any round close to that (.243 7mm-08 ect.) i dont know how to tell unless anyone has shot both

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

any rifle with a break is effing loud..

the only way to really know is to get a sound meter and measure it.
American Recorder SPL-8810 Sound Pressure Level Meter

Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #3

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I was at an open shoot this past summer, the guy next to me had an AR15 w/ a break. I was shooting a 1906 M96. Every time he would pull the trigger, I got hit w/ the shell case and a blast of gas and noise. I pulled out my Cetme w/ flash hider and set up a bit further back on the bench, he was gone in 5 rounds. His rifle was friggin loud!!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 992 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Did the AR15 have a Flash Arrester or a Muzzle Brake? Most AR's that have threaded barrel's just use a Flash Arrester,there is a difference.

Muzzle Brake;

Flash Arrester;

Old 12-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #5

i belive it was a break because i was told arresters are illegal here in ca

Old 12-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #6

I would actually make some bets on an AR I own. It sports a custom made break that I designed and allows for close to .22LR recoil. It's on a rifle that I used for many years in competition, but the side effect of the very efficient design was one of the loudest rifles I have ever fired. I guess that means the break is working as intended! Depending on the break your buddy has...you might being buying a box!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #7

Hi kzink, sure hope your buddy needs some .22LR, I run several ARs with muzzle brakes and I think you might be in trouble. If my understanding is correct, you are talking about 5.56 thru a brake compared to a .308 without a brake??

Here is a pic of my most effective brake, at 400yds & with a 40 power scope, off a rest - you can watch the 5.56 bullet hit the beer can. The bbl just don't raise at all. For the shooter or someone directly BEHIND him, the noise isn't much more than normal. The poor SOB who happens to be on either side of the brake is in for a shock. It makes a huge difference where your ears are in relation to the brake.

I gotta side with your buddy! Mine can be much louder than a .30-06 or .308 fired from a rifle without a brake, if you happen to be in the wrong spot!

A little off topic & probably more information than you want, but the second loudest firearm I own is the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. That thing will make your ears BLEED!!

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 12-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I had a combo, break/flash hider that I bought from LaRue Tactical, and it made my AR way loud!

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

It depends on where you are in comparison to the muzzle. An AR with a brake is extremely loud if you are in line with the ports. A .308 with a brake is loud if you are in line with the ports.

To me, an overbore cartridge .243, .22-250, .22WSSM is EXTREMELY abusive. The sound is not only loud, but piercing.

The Bushmaster AR's with the AK-74 style brake are nasty to hear.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball