help me find a scope! - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

help me find a scope!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
IMHO, you should be prepared to spend as much on the glass as you spent on the rifle, until you get up close to $1g when it won't matter any more.

A lot of good suggestions here. Bushnell Legend HD is the best I've found in your price range. They offer a mil dot as well as side focus. Don't buy anything you haven't looked through; pref. outside and at shooting distances.
I completely agree but for a hunting/semi target rifle decent glass is enough. I honestly want to save up for another heavy barreled rifle in 308 and get some nice glass to go with it.
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 11-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #42

Liked 1397 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

You make a good point.

On the other hand, I have hunting rifles that will shoot around .5" at 100 yds. Is that necessary? No. However, I have found it increases my confidence 100x to know that I can shoot for the left ventricle or the right ventricle. "Aim small, miss small" has a whole other meaning when your weapon shoots bugholes and good glass is needed for that.

I admit it's easier to get fussy when you have a few bucks and you'll have to edit out what doesn't work for you. For many, many years I owned a Savage .270 with a K2.5 Weaver scope and used it to good effect on many critters.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Anna, I need a better angle! How many brow tines on that MOOSE?
OR how many times can I fit his head inside the antlers?

Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #44

Liked 781 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
It's not that it's too think and its not a normal duplex. In all its not too bad and it will work I just wish it was something different, like a bdc or mil dot.
Be Careful, a BDC or Mildot can really clutter your sight picture. A standard reticule or German #4 work great as you still get a VG sight picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I completely agree but for a hunting/semi target rifle decent glass is enough. I honestly want to save up for another heavy barreled rifle in 308 and get some nice glass to go with it.
Good idea.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #45

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Vortex scopes are probably the most quality in glass and mechanics of any scopes out there for the price . I am a lifetime customer

Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #46

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

I just bought a Nikon pro staff 4-12 x40 for my .308 after much research and eyeballing through this thing I like it . Its very clear ,98% light transmission . The bdc is something I'm going to have to get used to because I'm a mil dot guy . But for $199 I see zero difference between it and my Nikon monarchs other than plastic caps instead of metal caps . Also the zoom and focus aren't as smooth bit its new and has not been worked much either

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens