Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > help me find a scope!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1915 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
anothe rplace to keep an eye on some good deals is this:
http://www.slickguns.com/category/accessories?caliber=47
Also SWFA. There is a tab at the top called the sample list. You can find gently used dealer sample scopes at good prices.

http://swfa.com/default.aspx

And Natchez shooters supply also usually has some decent deals of you live where they can ship.

http://www.natchezss.com/

Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In North Carolina on white tail...

Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #23

Liked 125 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
In North Carolina on white tail...
Boiler room is similar, 3-5 inches. terrain can be hilly to open field, I may be wrong but I don't see many shooting opportunities over 150 yards, as to your capabilities ? that's for YOU to determine.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post

Boiler room is similar, 3-5 inches. terrain can be hilly to open field, I may be wrong but I don't see many shooting opportunities over 150 yards, as to your capabilities ? that's for YOU to determine.
There are some fields that go past 300yds and dad hunts powerlines.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

any 3x9x40 will do what you are asking it to do. If you plan on solely shooting from a bench on a flat range, at longer distances, a larger magnification would work better, but in the field, a larger magnification without a good rest just magnifies the 'shake' from your breathing and unsteady hold. a lower powered scope also gives you the versatility of hunting in thicker woods than a larger magnification can.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
any 3x9x40 will do what you are asking it to do. If you plan on solely shooting from a bench on a flat range, at longer distances, a larger magnification would work better, but in the field, a larger magnification without a good rest just magnifies the 'shake' from your breathing and unsteady hold. a lower powered scope also gives you the versatility of hunting in thicker woods than a larger magnification can.
That's my problem, I would like to touch out a little farther than I already can with my 4-12x40 so I was looking at a 4.5-14x42. Not much difference but I want a nicer scope anyways.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Galileo saw the rings of Saturn with a crappy 8 power scope, how far you want to reach out?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Galileo saw the rings of Saturn with a crappy 8 power scope, how far you want to reach out?
I'm trying to bag the man on the moon
Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #29

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post
8" is the boiler on a whitetail. 3" is a perfect heart shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
That's my problem, I would like to touch out a little farther than I already can with my 4-12x40 so I was looking at a 4.5-14x42. Not much difference but I want a nicer scope anyways.
OK, I don't want to come off harse. You just bought the rifle, You put a scope on that you thought would work. What scope is it??
You are now looking for a new scope that is almost identical to what you have.
Stop for a second.
You have posted you were getting good groups, which is subjective to the task intended to the shooters criteria. If you are looking for tighter groups, the optic you have may not be the issue. It could be you, the ammo, scope not mounted correctly or a combination of all. My Savage 110 7mm Rem mag can shoot 1"..1.25" 100 yard groups w/ factory 150gr on any given day, not bad. With hand loaded 129,140, or 160gr it is a 5/8" shooter. Not bad for a hunter. My .308HB or .223 varminter can shoot ragged hole or cloverleafs all day long, that was what they were made for. I was and still am a recoil junky, always have been. I shoot rifles that make others put it down and walk away. Not bruised, but shattered blood vessels. I never, I do mean never ask someone on the net what will work for me. They don't know my size, experience, background, pocket book. They don't know me from a hole in the wall.
I would suggest you go to a local shop and look at scopes. As questions and look some more. Even after playing at this game for 40 years, we all make a mistake. I bought an older 4-16x42mmAO Bushnell Trophy for my CZ527. What a waste of money. I ended up putting it on a Marlin 917V .17HMR that is is better suited to. It just was all wrong. I just could not pick up game at 200+ yards with it easily. That sucked. I went w/ a 6.5-20x42mmAO Sightron Big sky and now I can see the Man in the Moons phone number being dialed at 400 yards. That Scope/Rifle in theory can put a 63gr SP Sierra varminter out to 750 yards accurately. In Theory. Real world, give it a 5mph cross wind, a slight breeze, you are 58" off. 6.8" off at 300 yards, still a miss on vermin that borough. I shoot 140gr 7mm Ballistic tips at vermin because they suck on larger game at short range, just because I can. Something else I learned.

Take your time.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post

8" is the boiler on a whitetail. 3" is a perfect heart shot.

OK, I don't want to come off harse. You just bought the rifle, You put a scope on that you thought would work. What scope is it??
You are now looking for a new scope that is almost identical to what you have.
Stop for a second.
You have posted you were getting good groups, which is subjective to the task intended to the shooters criteria. If you are looking for tighter groups, the optic you have may not be the issue. It could be you, the ammo, scope not mounted correctly or a combination of all. My Savage 110 7mm Rem mag can shoot 1"..1.25" 100 yard groups w/ factory 150gr on any given day, not bad. With hand loaded 129,140, or 160gr it is a 5/8" shooter. Not bad for a hunter. My .308HB or .223 varminter can shoot ragged hole or cloverleafs all day long, that was what they were made for. I was and still am a recoil junky, always have been. I shoot rifles that make others put it down and walk away. Not bruised, but shattered blood vessels. I never, I do mean never ask someone on the net what will work for me. They don't know my size, experience, background, pocket book. They don't know me from a hole in the wall.
I would suggest you go to a local shop and look at scopes. As questions and look some more. Even after playing at this game for 40 years, we all make a mistake. I bought an older 4-16x42mmAO Bushnell Trophy for my CZ527. What a waste of money. I ended up putting it on a Marlin 917V .17HMR that is is better suited to. It just was all wrong. I just could not pick up game at 200+ yards with it easily. That sucked. I went w/ a 6.5-20x42mmAO Sightron Big sky and now I can see the Man in the Moons phone number being dialed at 400 yards. That Scope/Rifle in theory can put a 63gr SP Sierra varminter out to 750 yards accurately. In Theory. Real world, give it a 5mph cross wind, a slight breeze, you are 58" off. 6.8" off at 300 yards, still a miss on vermin that borough. I shoot 140gr 7mm Ballistic tips at vermin because they suck on larger game at short range, just because I can. Something else I learned.

Take your time.
It's a Redfield revolution and I just don't care for it.