help me find a scope! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > help me find a scope!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Thanks guys, do you think a 6-20x50 is too big for hunting?
Yes. I am not sure why you want bigger. 7MM Rem mag on large game maxes out at 500 yards as an effective range. If you are shooting over 400 it is not an ethical shot in reality. I use a 2-10x38mm and it is capable for 500 yards although for hunting most shots don't pass 300 and the scope past 7..8. My advice is stop buying glass, get something that suits the rifle for hunting, ask hunters. 4-12x40 is rather large in every respect for hunting. All a bell larger then 40..42mm is going to do is get hung up on crap, make for a really bad cheek wield. I do have a 6.5-20x42mmAO on my Varmint rig, But the game are very small at 300 and it is suited for the cartridge and intended purpose. Most medium game is taken at less then 100 yards. Even w/ a 4 power it came be an issue as you can't get a good sight picture.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

sandog Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

In would advise checking into the NIKON Scopes. Good quality with good glass and at a good price. They have what you are looking for and the good news they are in your price range!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post

Yes. I am not sure why you want bigger. 7MM Rem mag on large game maxes out at 500 yards as an effective range. If you are shooting over 400 it is not an ethical shot in reality. I use a 2-10x38mm and it is capable for 500 yards although for hunting most shots don't pass 300 and the scope past 7..8. My advice is stop buying glass, get something that suits the rifle for hunting, ask hunters. 4-12x40 is rather large in every respect for hunting. All a bell larger then 40..42mm is going to do is get hung up on crap, make for a really bad cheek wield. I do have a 6.5-20x42mmAO on my Varmint rig, But the game are very small at 300 and it is suited for the cartridge and intended purpose. Most medium game is taken at less then 100 yards. Even w/ a 4 power it came be an issue as you can't get a good sight picture.
I know I mentioned hunting, but I mean I am generally using this rifle for targets. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #14

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I know I mentioned hunting, but I mean I am generally using this rifle for targets. Thanks for the input.
7MM Rem Mag for targets?? Your rifle has a sporter barrel, not a target gun, it is a hunter. You should trade it in on something that will be cheaper to shoot and is intended for targets. Many people try to make a firearm something it is not. That ends up in frustration. I have the same rifle as you, but with a wood stock. I check zero w/ a couple rounds for hunting season and that is all the range time it sees. It is not a rifle you can put 50..100 rounds a day through.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

7MM Rem Mag for targets?? Your rifle has a sporter barrel, not a target gun, it is a hunter. You should trade it in on something that will be cheaper to shoot and is intended for targets. Many people try to make a firearm something it is not. That ends up in frustration. I have the same rifle as you, but with a wood stock. I check zero w/ a couple rounds for hunting season and that is all the range time it sees. It is not a rifle you can put 50..100 rounds a day through.
I will eventually and will probably use the scope on another rifle. This is just my first rifle and I enjoy using it on targets. I'm taking my hunters safety course in November.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #16

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Not all sporter weight barrels are out of target shooting class. I have a Sako that doesn't walk or wander as it warms up. I've put a 20 round string out there with no significant POI wandering at 200 yds. It kind of shocked me the first time I did it. It's one of the things that put that on my "do not sell this one" list.

Alot has to do with how the barrel is made, rifled and stress relieved. Of course mine is not a magnum, that would heat faster either.

I have definitely had other rifles that did wander as they warmed up. So, generally you are right. If I was building a dedicated target gun I would opt for something more rigid, and that would heat and cool slower.

And I agree that a 7mm Mag would not be my choice for tearing paper and putting a lot of rounds down range. Due to price and increased recoild and potential flinch issues later in a course of fire.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

Not all sporter weight barrels are out of target shooting class. I have a Sako that doesn't walk or wander as it warms up. I've put a 20 round string out there with no significant POI wandering at 200 yds. It kind of shocked me the first time I did it. It's one of the things that put that on my "do not sell this one" list.

Alot has to do with how the barrel is made, rifled and stress relieved. Of course mine is not a magnum, that would heat faster either.

I have definitely had other rifles that did wander as they warmed up. So, generally you are right. If I was building a dedicated target gun I would opt for something more rigid, and that would heat and cool slower.

And I agree that a 7mm Mag would not be my choice for tearing paper and putting a lot of rounds down range. Due to price and increased recoild and potential flinch issues later in a course of fire.
I agree with the man above I could achieve better accuracy and use a cheaper bullet. I will reload and I don't mind the recoil. I go with some friends and only shot about 20 rounds in an afternoon anyways.

As far as a scope I was looking at a Burris fullfield 4.5-14x42 I think and its right at $300 on midway.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #18

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

A quality 3-9X40 makes for one hell of a good hunting scope. Nikon Buckmaster scopes are very good for the price , There are a few others out there in the same price range that are good scopes

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-28-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #19

Liked 207 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 352

To answer that: a) which game? b)What terrain? c) What are YOUR capabilities?
For instance here in Alaska, most of my shots are under 200 yards do to clear shot conditions through brush etc. Black bear and moose are my primary game again shorter range usually presenting decent targets. My capabilities are the shorter the steadier (less moa movement). so for me a Black Bear at 100 yards in a small clearing has about a 4-6 inch heart lung target, my 4-9 Bushnel does the job just fine. where I would probably have difficulty finding a comfortable shot at a Pronghorn on the open lands of Montana etc.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

another place to keep an eye on some good deals is this:
http://www.slickguns.com/category/accessories?caliber=47

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 10-28-2013 at 04:44 PM.
SSGN_Doc Likes This