help me find a scope!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

help me find a scope!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I've been looking at a scope to go on my 7mm rem mag, and I'm looking to spend around $3-500. I know this isn't a lot and a good scope cost way more.

I use the rifle mainly for targets and hunting. I already have a 4-12x40 but I want something bigger than a 40 with more magnification for longer range shooting.

I have looked at vortex vipers, they are at the top of my price range and I've looked all the way down to burris scopes. I would like your opinion on some good glass, thanks...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

go with vortex, any of their scopes in your price range. im sure you could find something that fitted your needs and their warranty is unmatched

Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnel74 View Post
go with vortex, any of their scopes in your price range. im sure you could find something that fitted your needs and their warranty is unmatched
That's another reason I was looking at them. Thanks

Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Most Burris scopes come with their Forever warranty, so it and Vortex's VIP warranty are very similar.
I have 2 of the Burris Fullfield 2 (6.5-20x50 with ballistic mil-dot). I wouldntve bought another one for a different rifle if the first one (approx 10yrs old) ever had any issues. Damn good scopes for the money.
p35bhp55 Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #5

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Nikon makes pretty good scopes and many of their scopes are under $200. Burris and weaver make decent scopes for a decent price.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys, do you think a 6-20x50 is too big for hunting?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #7

Liked 2503 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 577

That would be a lot of scope for Carolina woods. I don't know what brand of scope you are currently running. A low end scope may have a big objective and magnification to make up for poorer quality glass and coatings. A truly high quality scope in a 3-9x or 4-12x is capable if giving excellent resolution clarity and being bright enough for some pretty long shots even with a 40-44mm objective.

Now if shooting long range from a bench is the primary goal, or stationary shooting at long range us the goal then higher magnification can be fine. A 6-18x is great for varmint shooting from a stationary position on small targets that are hard to pick out. But if you have to pack it in woods with shots being most likely inside if 200 yds, the extra magnification narrows your field of view and your ability to scan and find your target.

My woods gun in Georgia was a .30-30 with a 1.5-5x scope. This was light, and quick for scanning and getting on target, where shots were most likely to be inside 100 yds in the tight swampy woods I hunted.

Out here in Washington my .30-06 has a 3-9x that is nice and clear. It still givese a low power option for the woods the deer run in, and plenty of resolution for the more open Elk terrain where I'm still going to do my best to keep shots inside of 300yds, but would be confident in the ability to get good hits at 400. Beyond that, I don't feel comfortable with risking a wounded animal with a substantial head start.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
That would be a lot of scope for Carolina woods. I don't know what brand of scope you are currently running. A low end scope may have a big objective and magnification to make up for poorer quality glass and coatings. A truly high quality scope in a 3-9x or 4-12x is capable if giving excellent resolution clarity and being bright enough for some pretty long shots even with a 40-44mm objective.

Now if shooting long range from a bench is the primary goal, or stationary shooting at long range us the goal then higher magnification can be fine. A 6-18x is great for varmint shooting from a stationary position on small targets that are hard to pick out. But if you have to pack it in woods with shots being most likely inside if 200 yds, the extra magnification narrows your field of view and your ability to scan and find your target.

My woods gun in Georgia was a .30-30 with a 1.5-5x scope. This was light, and quick for scanning and getting on target, where shots were most likely to be inside 100 yds in the tight swampy woods I hunted.

Out here in Washington my .30-06 has a 3-9x that is nice and clear. It still givese a low power option for the woods the deer run in, and plenty of resolution for the more open Elk terrain where I'm still going to do my best to keep shots inside of 300yds, but would be confident in the ability to get good hits at 400. Beyond that, I don't feel comfortable with risking a wounded animal with a substantial head start.
I see what you are saying, I probably won't really use this gun in the woods. I haven't even taken my hunters safety course yet and I want a lever action for hunting the woods. Your recommendation for scope power is exactly what I'm looking for. It's there a particular brand in mind?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #9

Liked 2503 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I see what you are saying, I probably won't really use this gun in the woods. I haven't even taken my hunters safety course yet and I want a lever action for hunting the woods. Your recommendation for scope power is exactly what I'm looking for. It's there a particular brand in mind?
I liek the Nikon Buckmaster, and higher end Nikon scopes, though I have had good luck with the ProStaff that I have as well. I've also been pleased with Redfield and Burris scopes. I have an old Redfield AccuTrac that is on my Sako .30-06. It is very clear and bright and tracks true on the adjustments. The ranging and bullet drop knob are also nice features on that scope as well.

I have a Nikon Buckmaster in 6-18x for my varmint rifle. Much more than 18x and the magnification of heartbeat, and brathing becomes more of a problem than a benefit.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

I liek the Nikon Buckmaster, and higher end Nikon scopes, though I have had good luck with the ProStaff that I have as well. I've also been pleased with Redfield and Burris scopes. I have an old Redfield AccuTrac that is on my Sako .30-06. It is very clear and bright and tracks true on the adjustments. The ranging and bullet drop knob are also nice features on that scope as well.

I have a Nikon Buckmaster in 6-18x for my varmint rifle. Much more than 18x and the magnification of heartbeat, and brathing becomes more of a problem than a benefit.
Ok, I'll definitely check out the the Nikon, I hear good things about them...