Help me daydream about my next project...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help me daydream about my next project...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Help me daydream about my next project...

I don't know if you guys are at all like me, but I like to sit around and daydream about different things. My latest daydream is my next rifle build.

I already have two AR's and an extra lower. I was going to build a 20" bull barreled AR for "longer range" shots with the spare lower, but I thought for less than the cost of the upper I can buy a Remington 700 SPS in .308. Then I would have a precision bolt gun.

What do you think? Would you rather have precision bolt gun or another AR. By the way one of the AR's is a M4 copy cat and the other is a carbine with a DPMS 16" Bull barrel.

Thanks

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #2

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont have a thing for bolt guns, but i REALLY don't have as thing for AR's.

However....I think you should diversify. .223 or 5.56 is great and all, but up the caliber a little bit. I'd love to have a .308......but mine would be an M1A.

But then again, I'm weird. I don't like bolt guns, or AR's....what the heck? haha. I guess thats why i just picked up the .45-70 lever gun.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Get the Rem 700/308

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #4

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 44

2X what cane says. Sounds like somebody's dreams are rather ambiguous, I'm not a SA person but if I had 2 already I would probably want a versatile gun in a different format. 308 is an excellent all around choice in caliber. Who makes it is somewhat of a personal prefrence but 700 Rem would not disappoint you. Unless you want an AR collection, diversify. Only you can ultimately make a decision on what you want. Base that on what you want to do with the gun.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #5

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Get the Rem 700/308
Or the Rem 700 in 30-06

Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
My latest daydream is a Remington 700 SPS in .308. Then I would have a precision bolt gun.
I don't know about a daydream there brother. That sounds more like a fantasy to me.

Out of the box, the Remington is a decent enough rifle, but it is FAR from being a "precision" anything.

Now everyone knows I am no fan of the Big Green marketing machine, but you really need to define "precision".

If you are talking about shooting a 2" group at 100 yards, or hitting a man sized target in the chest at 300 yards, those are both totally do able with that rifle.

If you are talking about shooting 3 or 5 shot groups at 100 yards that you can cover with a dime? Good luck. You are going to be doing A LOT of work to that factory stick to achieve that level of performance.

Let me ask you this: What do you want this "long range" stick to do? Whether it be an AR or a boltgun?

JD

Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Percision bolt gun. Thats easy

Surgeon 591 Short Action http://www.surgeonrifles.com/homepage/

Kreiger barrel chambered in 260 rem with a tight neck. http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/

Mc Millan F-CLASS stock. http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-competition-stock-list.php?subnav=branch4a

Surgeon RSR Scope Rail 20MOA http://www.surgeonrifles.com/homepage/

Badger Ordnance Rings http://www.badgerordnance.com/

March 10-60x52mm scope. http://www.deon.co.jp/march/Long_range_benchrest.html

I would have all the metal coated flat black and get the stock in black gray and red.

Easy pezy

Last edited by cpttango30; 02-05-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I am not a 308 fan, nor a big fan or Remington. I would go with a savagefp in 30.06 if I wanted a bolt gun. But since you already have an ar lower, look into a 6.5 Grendal upper.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I don't know about a daydream there brother. That sounds more like a fantasy to me.

Out of the box, the Remington is a decent enough rifle, but it is FAR from being a "precision" anything.

Now everyone knows I am no fan of the Big Green marketing machine, but you really need to define "precision".

If you are talking about shooting a 2" group at 100 yards, or hitting a man sized target in the chest at 300 yards, those are both totally do able with that rifle.

If you are talking about shooting 3 or 5 shot groups at 100 yards that you can cover with a dime? Good luck. You are going to be doing A LOT of work to that factory stick to achieve that level of performance.

Let me ask you this: What do you want this "long range" stick to do? Whether it be an AR or a boltgun?

JD
You're right my idea of precision is a little off kilter. I am envisioning 5" groups at about 500 yards. Truth be told the longest range I have available is 200 or so yards, however there is a 1000 meter known distance range about 1.5 hr away and I would like to visit it sometime. I know I will not shoot 1000 meters but it would be nice to be able to shoot 500.

The 700 I was looking at was the SPS Varmint with the heavy 26" barrel and the adjustable trigger. Then when money came around I would put a H&S stock on it.

I do love AR's, but by no means am a collector. My 16" bull barreled AR has a red dot on it, but it will be getting a 3x9 scope. I hope this will be a 100 yard tack driver and will be good for varmints out to 300 yards.

I was considering the 20" AR, mostly because I have a stripped M&P lower. I considered a 458, but after doing research and talking to Cane, I changed my mind and am going to use my 30-06 for hogs on the few occasions I get to go hunting. Instead of having a $3.50 a round gun sitting in the safe.

When I started pricing out the cost to build the AR, I thought "I can buy and build a remington 700 for the same money and I'll have a .308." In my ignorant mind I thought the .308 would be a better option than another .223.

Truth is I am a paper punching range warrior. In the last two years I got the bug because since I got retired I could not go out and play with the departments toys. Now I am trying to build a well rounded collection without getting obsessed.

My current collection is.
XD 40
XD 40 SC
G22
10/22
Old Winchester 1917 30-06 "sporterized"
two carbine AR's
Mossy 590 for HD
Remington 1100 20 ga (given to me)
Remington 1100 12 ga(work in progress)
Chinese SKS (given to me)
Two Saiga S12's
and a couple of other shotguns (win 1400, some 20 ga)

As you can see other than 30-06, the largest caliber I have is the .223 and the 7.62x39. Since I am just getting into firearms as a hobby my purposes are a little stupid in that I want most of these guns just to have them. I don't hunt that often (bird mostly and hopefully pigs are in the future), my local range is pretty inadequate, but I hope to get into longer range(not long range) shooting. As far as I can see, I have no other reasons and will probably stop buying guns after this one. Or my wife will kill me considering the only guns I had two years ago were the 10/22 and my bird gun the Win 1400.

Brand reasoning Remington. Affordable adjustable trigger and factory 26" heavy barrel. Savage I love them, but the factory heavy barrels are 22" unless you go up to the higher priced sticks. Howa I can't figure out a damn thing about these things. The site is hard to navigate to figure out what models come with what. The Surgeons, H&S's, Mcmillans and others I would have to refinance my house to buy one.

Here's another thing, I can't leave anything alone. My trucks get lifted, my Chevelle is stripped waiting for it's big block. So asthetics is right up there with function. With that being said, I think a bolt gun with a 10 round mag hanging out the bottom looks great. Do I need it? No way, but it looks cool, just like a lift kit or wheels. The Remington I can get a trigger guard that accepts McMillan magazines, I know it sounds stupid but at least I am being honest.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-05-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

OR

600 yard bench Gun.

Stiller Viper DROP port Stillers Precision Firearms

SG&Y BRX Stock in Red and silver. Stillers Precision Firearms

Jewell 1oz trigger No safety GreatScottShooters.com - Supplying the finest accessories available for rifle shooting.

Kreiger 5-R 6mm BRX barrel Home

Kelbly Rings Welcome to Kelbly's

March 60x52mm Benchrest scope.