Help me buy a rifle for my husband for Christmas! please. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help me buy a rifle for my husband for Christmas! please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

The .223 ammo isn't too expensive right now.

The Ruger Mini 14 may be the way to go.

Maybe be prepared to go back to the store

with your lucky husband,

and your original purchase, and

exchange it for something else.

Make it a day out either way. Go together to the range, to a

fun restaurant, and/or the store.

The family that shoots together, has a long life, and

many fine children{epic rhyme fail, sorry...}

Last edited by therewolf; 08-19-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Tikilyn, Can you give us a bit more guidance regarding your husband's shooting preferences? He appears to like semi-auto military designs. Does he also like bolt actions? Will he use if for hunting, or just going to the range?

On a different note, can you call my wife and give her gift suggestions for her hubby?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #23

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Based upon the guns he already has, and the niche you say he wants to fill, I am going to suggest the M1A as well.

The M1A is the civilian legal version of the US Military M14 rifle, and it is the Cadillac of semi auto rifles.

Accurate, durable, reliable, classy, and it falls within your price point with some careful shopping.

Any guy who has the guns you mentioned has an M1A on his wish list, typically.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How about an AK in .223 caliber? Get one with a folding stock on it. Make sure to get him at least 4 magazines to go with the rifle. He'll enjoy it to no end and it may become one of his favorite rifles to go to if there is trouble near by too.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #25

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikilyn1 View Post
Hi, I'm new here and am looking for advice. I want to buy my husband a rifle for Christmas. Can you help me? I don't want to pick out a cheesy gun and not "WOW" him; even though he would love it but I want to really wow him.

So let me tell you about him. He's in his late 30's, works for the Government. He already owns: an M1, M4, Ak47, AR15, and a few others. My budget can not go over 1500.00. What can I get him?

Thanks for all the advice.

tikilyn,

I'll ecko that your husband is very lucky to have you!!!

BUT let me caution that you may be setting yourself up for a disappointment: My wife has bought me 3 rifles over the years - Two of which I ending up trading off. She picks-up on comments I made and purchased these rifle thinking it was just what I wanted, but was wrong. LOL - And bless her heart I couldn't tell her but she knows/reads me very well and I don't have a very good poker face.

So....with that, I see the basic issue is that I'm very picky on the main part of my hobby - i.e.. RIFLES. Looking at the rifles you say your husband already has - He may have a similar passion for his type rifles. If you see this in him, trying to WOW him in his main passion may not work out like you hope.

However, getting him something a little outside of his "box" may get you the "WOW, I've always wanted this!". For example,

1) I think the 1911 pistol has a high probability of the WOW
2) An old military bolt rifle like 1903a3 or a P17 could also add a new dimension he doesn't have now and get the WOW.

Both of the above are within your budget, there are plenty of guys here that will be glad to help with the details and you have the time before Christmas to let them help.

Other suggestions: Buy him a good rifle case, wrap it and put card with $,$$$ inside. This will let you write to him and I'll bet he'll enjoy process of the picking himself out a new rifle.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #26

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default thinking out of the box

He's a lucky man ....that aside , how about a cool as hell hunting rifle ....a howa axiom in basic black ...22-250 or .308 with a good glass ..nikon or leupold would trip his trigger ....and get you a trip to hawaii ...if I was him !

Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #27

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikilyn1 View Post

Also if I go with the mini 14 this is the one I want to get him. It fits his style of guns (para military?)

Ruger Mini 14 Tactical 223 Folding ATI, I found it on gun brokers for 685.00 and I'm about two hours away from their store. I don't if I can post a link to it. If I buy this one then maybe I can pick out another gun or some accessories. LOL now my cheap side is showing.

If your husband is looking for para-military style, then the mini-14 ranch rifle in wood is the ruger version that is closest to looking like a battle rifle of WW2 era. Below is a picture that is a side by side comparison of them all.

In the picture, top to bottom is the M14 (M1a), Ruger Mini-14, and M1 Carbine.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try asking one of his shooting buddies what he has mentioned as to wanting. Also , Maybe a nice shotgun, a Benelli or Berreta in 12 ga that he could use for Trap or Skeet or for defense.

Noblesse Oblige

Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #29

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Whatever you choose, it would be best if he could exchange it if he wants. A gift card might not be as WOW but it would prevent him from getting something he doesn't really want. If it's a local gun store you could probably talk with them and explain the situation and get a rifle put on hold and if wants to get something else he would have store credit.

Either way, it's a great idea and although difficult to follow through with because of the laws, he will likely appreciate the thought.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #30

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's my wifes birthday, and I heard her say she wanted some diamond solitair earrings. She spoils the hell out of me, so she's worth it. If I would have said I can't afford that right now,she would have been good with that too.

Without her knowing what I am doing, or where we were going, I took her into the jewelery store and I said, pick out what you really want... And she did. It surprised her, when we got to where we were going.

It made me feel really good, because she was able to pick out exactly what she wanted... One caret yellow diamonds aren't exactly cheap, even when they are on sale.

Maybe this is what you could maneuver your husband into doing.

At a $4000.00 list price, out the door with tax and license, $1970.00. It pays to have friends who sell jewelery.

By the way, when I paid $6018.00, plus tax and state DROS fee, for two Springfield Armory, Super Match rifles, she didn't bat an eye at the price.

Bill