Help me buy a rifle for my husband for Christmas! please.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help me buy a rifle for my husband for Christmas! please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help me buy a rifle for my husband for Christmas! please.

Hi, I'm new here and am looking for advice. I want to buy my husband a rifle for Christmas. Can you help me? I don't want to pick out a cheesy gun and not "WOW" him; even though he would love it but I want to really wow him.

So let me tell you about him. He's in his late 30's, works for the Government. He already owns: an M1, M4, Ak47, AR15, and a few others. My budget can not go over 1500.00. What can I get him?

Thanks for all the advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5990 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

seems he is into military arms maybe a M1 garand from the CMP Eligibility Requirements

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-18-2011, 04:14 AM   #3

has good rifles already. does he like handguns? if he dosent have one id get him an absolutly beautiful springfield or kimber 1911. every man loves a 1911 like he does a truck, or bacon.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

One thing he doesn't have is this. It has WoW!! written all over it, but it is $2300!

Savage 110BA .338 Lapua Mag.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 08-18-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It looks like he already has an M1.

Does he have an M1A? Springfield Armory makes some sweet M1A's and with judicious shopping, they can be had at around $1500. or at least close to that.

If you decide to buy him a handgun, you can't go wrong with a Colt 1911. In fact, some Colts are marked for the 100th Anniversary of the 1911.

Welcome to the FTF community Lyn.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-18-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I was also thimking M1A. maybe M1 carbine.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:39 AM   #7

That savage 110ba is a beautiful gun and my husband would love that! It's right up his alley too bad it's out of my price range. I'm going to really have to think about this one.

Can you tell me what a Mini 14 is?

My husband doesn't really like hand guns, so that is out. I'm also not sure about another M1. I'll think about that too. Also can you tell me what the difference is between the M1's you all are talking about.

Anything else for me to look at?

Thanks for all your help

Last edited by tikilyn1; 08-18-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #8
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1336 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Tikilyn, first off, welcome to the forum! The people here will be happy to seriously help you find something.

The Mini-14 is made by Ruger & Co. and is made in both Stainless steel and blue finish. It's used by law enforcement and has tons of accessories and 20 and 30-round magazines available both new and used due to law enforcement trade-ins. I've included some links below:

Mini-14

Also, if you can be inconspicuous while talking to your husband, or may be ask his best friend, see what he is looking at in his gun magazines and ask if that's his next dream purchase. Then tell us what he says and we'll take it from there!

Also, is a combat shotgun like a Saiga a possibility?

Combat shotgun

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1336 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Also, even though they sound the same, the M1A and M1 Carbine are completely different weapons, other than they are both rifles. The first is a larger weapon with a high-powered, large caliber round good for large game at medium to long range. The second one is a smaller weapon, short-barrelled and fires a smaller, carbine round, better for small or medium game at short to medium range. I am assuming your husband's M1 is the older Garand model, therefore the two detailed here are not the same as that model. Here are photos of both:

M1A, the big gun

M1 carbine, the smaller gun

Neither one of these places is the place to buy these weapons, just look! If interested, we can lead you to better places to buy.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 08-18-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Clarification of models

Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #10

Liked 4983 Times on 2413 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Judging from your husbands current arsenal, he seems to appreciate guns that have seen military service, both U.S. and Soviet.

For this reason I'd lean toward either previously suggested M1A or Mini 14.

The M1A is the "civilian legal" version of the M14 which was the U.S. Military primary battle rifle at the start of the Vietnam conflict before it was replaced with the M16. The M16 is essentially the same rifle as the AR15 and M4 your husband currently owns so that ones already covered.

The Mini 14 was not adopted for U.S. Service by was built in response to the governments request for a smaller lighter replacement to the M14 and competed against the AR 15 in government trials. Of course the AR 15 was selected and re-designated the M16. The Mini 14 still garners much interest from this, is a great rifle in it's own right, and is, in essence, a scaled down version of the M14 it sought to replace.

You should be able to find an M1A for $1500.00 or less and Mini 14 for $600 or so.

Good Luck,

TACK

P.S. My wife is already a far better woman that I deserve but would elevate herself to a whole new level should I find an M1A under the Christmas Tree!

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 08-18-2011 at 05:30 AM.