Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help with a long range semi-auto?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Hunting

You sir are not ready to hunt, to even suggest taking a shot at over 300 yards is a fantasy shot and should not be taken by anyone but a very seasoned hunter. Having said that if you are not sure of a clean kill no shot should be taken. I have taken red deer at 250 yards and have been shooting 40 years. The ranges you are disscussing are simply unsafe hunting practices. If you find on a range you can consistantly hit targets at 400 yards plus apply to join your olimpic team in 2012.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #12

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

I stayed away from this. A semi gun to take elk... My FFL is selling his old Remington 740(2?) in 30.06 with the original Redfield wideview scope. A steal at $550.00. It is a really nice rifle w/ no wear. Hell the scope is worth more than he is asking. Colorado made Redfield.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #13

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default JP

I have to ask would you entrust this weapon to someone who is talking about a 500 yard shot

Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1968

Default Long range and semi auto

Three words, Not Me Daddy. I didnt start no long range hunten shoot out. Wills in da swamp in La. PS this doesn't apply to Nutria.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #15

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
I have to ask would you entrust this weapon to someone who is talking about a 500 yard shot

I have spoken my peace on long range hunting enough times. For someone that wants to learn, this is a great rig. 500 yards is not an average shot. I would not take it. The OP needs to learn. With the internet and youtube everyone and his brother thinks these are normal shots. Coming across big and bold does not help on their end. But, educating the wanna be's is something to take seriously. Even a good semi such as this is still a 250 yard elk gun. That is still a respectable shot.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #16

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Heck, being partial, I would go with an Springer M1A if you don't care about the weight. The .308 will work fine for Elk with a well placed shot within reasonable ranges.

Jim...........

Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #17

It's kind of amusing that the OP would spend $2000 on a rifle, but loads on a $35 press. Do you really contemplate clean kills on elk @ 550 yds with any rifle? Have you ever taken game at that range? Do your hunting buddies consistently get clean kills at that range? If so, then I'd shoot whatever they're shooting.

Chances are, though, any serious long-range hunter WILL be shooting a bolt action and won't care if the capacity is one round or ten.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Both Browning and Benelli make semi auto sporting rifles chambered for belted magnum cartridges and the newer short magnum cartridges. With the exception of the magazine capacity they should fill your needs quite well. Regarding a four vs. a five round capacity, if you can't get that deer / elk with the first four rounds you shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #19
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

[QUOTE=Mutabam;252752]It's kind of amusing that the OP would spend $2000 on a rifle, but loads on a $35 press

I have several High $$$$ rifles and handload with a Lee Turret press.What's your point? A Dillon press might load faster,but it doesn't load any better.

Just as an expensive gun doesn't make you a better shooter,a person with good shooting skills and a cheap gun can out shoot an inexperienced shooter with deep pockets.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I appreciate the constructive answers I got from some of you, such as dunerunner, skullcrusher, and missileman and a few others. But I believe some of you misunderstood what I wanted the rifle for and it spawned a string of noob bashing and I would think we're all grown peoples here but I suppose its un-avoidable sometimes.

There is a reason I did not want a bolt action and its simply because I already own one I inherited from my father and is a respectible rifle, but I want one of my own that doesnt have too much sentimental value to it and I prefer a semi-auto becuase its what I'm used to.

I agree that 500+ yards is a risky and very rare shot, but I have been there before, though I was not the one taking the shot and it was not a clean kill.

I said in the original post that I wanted to be ABLE to hit something at 500 yards with decent accuracy and handloads.
The range I shoot at for long distance shooting is capible of 300 yards and is why I said I wanted something I would be able to engage multiple targets at 250 yards or approximate range. Multiple targets meaning possibly 3-4 targets at one bullet each. These targets could be paper or siloutes to prepare for hunting and keep my aim sharp since I dont live in elk country and only get the chance to go elk hunting once every year or so in the rocky mountains.

Whoever gave the advice about the black gun being frowned upon as a hunting weapon on elk hunting in certain places, I appreciate your feedback because I never thought of it that way and is something good to keep in mind.

Tuner brought up a good point and I was wonderng if Browning would be a good choice in a 300 Win Mag. And I havent realy considered Benelli because I mostly associate them with Tom Knapp and shotguns but I may have to look into their rifles as well. I'm not familiar with the newer WSMs and smaller magnum calibers and their ballistics and is why I tend to shy away from them, I like the tried and true old-fashioned tested ammo, it seems to be easier to load from what I can tell.

Tags
300 yards, caliber, elk, rifle, semi-auto