Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Help with a long range semi-auto? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/help-long-range-semi-auto-24810/)

Ruzai 03-18-2010 06:03 AM

Help with a long range semi-auto?

I'm trying to make a choice on my next rifle, I've come up with a few hard specifics on what I want but I am still not sure on a couple of the others i dont know much on. I'd appreciate a little help deciding.

Has to be under $2,000
It must NOT be a bolt action. I dont care how it cycles as long as it loads the next rounds for me.
It has to have a magazine capacity of 5 or more.
I am not brand specific.
I'm a big guy so I can handle heavy recoil as long as its not a 50 without a muzzle brake.
I want something that has decent grouping at 200-300 yards and can put down an elk at 450-550 yards with the guns most accurate load and really good aim.
I do not handload...yet and dont completely understand all the jargon of it, but some.
I do plan to hunt elk with the gun, but I want to primarily be able to engage multiple targets at 200-250 yards.

I have no idea what caliber I would want, but from what I've seen is the 338 Lapua Magnum, 338 Winchester Magnum, the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum, nd 300 Winchester Magnum. I don't think I'd trust a 7.62x51 Nato at 550+ yards I would think it would deviate more than the previously named calibers.

Regarding the caliber, I want to be able to load it easily in a LEE turret press and without extremely high prices on the brass, bullets, and primers.

Does such a rifle even exsist? I know it seems sort of noobish to ask this sort of question but I seem to get sort of lost in all the information that is out there, maybe with a little colaberation on the subject from more knowledgeable people I could make a decent decision.

I dont have this much trouble picking a handgun, but this is only my second rifle so things sort of change for me.

IGETEVEN 03-18-2010 06:20 AM

Perhaps if you swing by Introductions and tell us a little about yourself and your firearm interests, the forum members can welcome you here and be more inclined to help you out.

Either of them 300's should fit your bill, IMO.

Jack

Ruzai 03-18-2010 10:44 AM

I took your advice and posted a good-sized intro on the Introduction section.
Oh, and the caliber is not limited to those I listed, if you know of any that might fit or surpass the wants of the gun I'd be glad to hear of them.

Of course I will need to mount a scope on the rifle, I'll probably end up having to by a new one seeing as how my current 3-9x Deerfield one is on my WASR-10 AKM for now, and probably wont move. Any suggestions for that are welcome as well.

Brad 03-18-2010 03:39 PM

The Armalite AR-30 in 300 or 338 Lapua. Roughly $1600 or so. Very nice gun.

Missileman 03-18-2010 04:57 PM

One caution: Fair or not, hunting elk with a "black" rifle is heavily forwned upon in some areas and by some guides and landowners. I've hunted extensively in Montana and have seen numerous landowners refuse to permit hunting with military type weapons. To many, elk hunting is a purest sport, the goal being one-shot clean kills after hiking and climbing great distances with a light weight mountain rifle. It looks like your budget is sufficient to support your long-range tactical rifle plus a good elk rifle--that's what I'd recommend, but it's just one hunter's opinion and I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me.

cpttango30 03-18-2010 07:56 PM

Did some one plant a new crop of long range hunter or something?

dunerunner 03-18-2010 08:05 PM

Well, Hell...If you've got the money Precision AR-10

I believe they will chamber this in nearly any caliber you would prefer but it isn't under $2000! Good luck with that!!!

skullcrusher 03-18-2010 08:06 PM

Many states limit the round capacity for big game hunting.

As far as the long range hunting, did "Best of the West" have a marathon on the Outdoor Channel or something?

DarinCraft 03-18-2010 10:41 PM

338 Lapua for under $2k?.....ok...

Maybe all these long range hunters we're getting lately need to look into these....better not to arm these people with anything "real"
http://holydueg.files.wordpress.com/...4/nerf-gun.jpg

hunter Joe 03-18-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 251715)
Did some one plant a new crop of long range hunter or something?

I think we need to plant them a little deeper. Dang things keep popping up.