Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help locating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help locating

Is there anyway to locate the serial number of a gun issued to a ww2 vet? Trying to track down my grandfathers issued riffle. Stationed in Italy, us army howitzers 105

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanin2010 View Post
Is there anyway to locate the serial number of a gun issued to a ww2 vet? Trying to track down my grandfathers issued riffle. Stationed in Italy, us army howitzers 105
probably slim and none. even if they had some sort of record, where would it be located? and how many soldiers were issued rifles? a bunch! and even the one he was issued, might not be the same rifle that saw battle.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6576 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 12893

It's a cannon! 105mm Howitzer
Try ancestry.com

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #4

Ax what u said what I keel finding online lol. And if I was able to locate it, I am ok if it's not the one in battle just as long as the serial was issued to him...

Mr I know thy he shot cannons but I remember him telling me that he was issued a riffle. That's what I am looking for

Old 06-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #5

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Doubt you'd be able to find it. Most WWII rifles were retired. Some were rebuilt several times before that. Many of those that got retired got lend leased to other countries such as Greece, Italy, Korea, many South American countries, etc. those that were returner and those that got retired here have been sold off. Others have gone to the civilian marksmanship program, and sold off. Then many of those owners may have traded and sold them, handed them down, parted them out, etc.

So, there may not be a reasonable way to locate it. If you know the Serial number, you may be able to find another manufacturer that could duplicate the serial. As long as it wasn't made previously by the same manufacturer, or they could add his initials to the serial to personalize it and avoid a duplication.

Do you know what model rifle he was issued.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #6

Ss I don't know anything to be honest with u. And he's been gone a few years so I can't ask him, that's why I was wondering if there was a way to find out the serial number of his issue. Then I could at least find out what he was issued

Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #7

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

I doubt you could find out what serial he was issued. Once the military got rid of the guns they probably got rid if any logs associated with them. I have an old gear issue card from one if my deployments that has the serial numbers for the weapons I was issued. But if your grandfather didn't keep anything like that it would be highly unlikely you'd ever find out.

Most artillery personnel would have been issued M1 carbines late in the war. Some would have had M1 Garand rifles. Some guys traded guns around. My great uncle took a Garand up the beach in Normandy, but swapped to a Thompson when the hit the hedge row country. He was back to a Garand when they entered Germany. He was issued a rifle. He turned in a rifle.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #8

Ss thank for the info gonna have to talk with my father to see if any of grandpas paperwork is around still

Old 06-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6576 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 12893

Perhaps the archives could help.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 06-23-2013, 02:00 AM   #10

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 712

My Dad was in the Pacific. He had a BAR and a number of 03 Springfields.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.