Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help Indentifying a Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help Indentifying a Rifle?

This was my brothers gun, he passed away last year, and I don't know anything about this gun. I don't know if he even knew anything about it.
To me it looks like a japanese rifle, but that could be way off.

Here are some pictures of it.

"25798"

"<886"

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

It is a japanese rifle (most likely WW2), I don't know which type though. (I have not looked at too many jap rifles) See that flower on the reciever, I believe that is the mark of the emporer. It is rare for a rifle to have that still intact. The Japanese would hack it off with their knives/bayonets before they were captured as a sign of respect for their emporer. The US military would also remove it before allowing troops to send them home. That mark adds some value to the rifle.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It is an Arisaka Type 44 Carbine I believe. I have an Arisaka Type 38 Rifle that my grandfather gave to me. Texas is pretty much spot on about the history of the flower on the reciever (I can't spell the name of it).

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #4

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Wow!! Nice!! Its a Type 44 Arisaka.. Its a carbine version of the Type 38. it shoots the 6.5x50mm round...

Like others have said they are hard to find with the Mum intact, more than likely a vet bring back...

Old 12-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #5

After some research on the symbols on the rifle, I have found that you have a Arisaka Type 44 Carbine. Can you take a pic of the symbols next to the 25798? Those symbols tell you where it was made and possibly about when it was made.

Here is a great site on identifying all of the symbols. http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

Old 12-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
(I can't spell the name of it).
I think it is called a chrysanthemum. Had to look that up.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I think it is called a chrysanthemum. Had to look that up.
Yes it is or a Mum for short. VERY difficult that rifle in all original condition with the markings intact. It must have been a very early war capture. You have a very valuable piece of history there. Treasure it.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8389 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Good info above. The type 44 came in 3 different variations, each beefing up the bayonet. Your brothers rifle was made at the Koishikawa arsenal in Tokoyo up to 1935 (56,000 of them). Production then moved to the Kokura arsenal.

Check the weird little revolving door on the buttplate- for cleaning rod. Ist model had 2 holes for rod, models 2 & 3 had one big hole.

The Chrysanthemum (mum) was the symbol of the Emperor- all military arms were property of the monarch (SMLE rifles are maked with initials of King or Queen of Britain- same deal). Arms that were captured in combat have an intact mum. At the end of the war, to "save face" for the Emperor, SURRENDERED weapons had the mums ground off (agreement the Allies made). Defaced mum= souvenir of Japan. Intact mum= WAR trophy. Intact mum higher value.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Imperial Seal of Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #10

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

That is a very nice rifle!! I sold my Japanese rifles. When I showed them to my Dad, he started to shake. They brought back bad memories. He would not even touch them. He was quite taken w/ my K98k's at the time though. He said they were covered in "dirty birds". God I miss him.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.