Help I.D.ing and Old Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help I.D.ing and Old Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help I.D.ing and Old Rifle

For those of you who remember me asking about info on those old rifles a while back, my dad ended up buying them. One of them if a pretty interesting bolt action that I just can't find any info on. It's chambered in .32 Winchester Special, and the only info I can find on any rifle with that chamber is the Winchester Model 94 which is a lever action. The only markings on the gun are one on the side of the barrel that says "32 Win. Sp.", the other is directly above that on the top of the barrel, and as best as I can tell says "H. Fettkotter". I'm jus trying to find out anything about this rifle, who made it, when were they made, for what purpose etc. Anything would be helpful and would also be more than I currently know about it. Here are some pics:

-Fred

.32-ws-3.jpg   .32-ws-1.jpg   .32-ws-2.jpg   .32-ws-4.jpg   .32-ws-5.jpg  

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #2

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

The only thing I have found so far is that it was made by a Heinrich Fettkotter of the late 1800's he mostly made shotguns and maybe some indications he also made big game double barrel guns. The only rifle mention was that he used a altered mouser action on some rifles.

I will keep look though

Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Looks like a typical Mauser 98 action. The turn down bolt would be typical in the K98k of the WWII era but the bolt of a G98 could have been bent to give this look.

.32 Win Spl is an unusual caliber for a bolt gun as it is rimmed. The rear sight is standard military. It could have been rebarreled and the rear sight reinstalled on the new barrel.

The bore diameter is pretty close so it is possible the barrel was set back .200" to accomodate the shorter cartridge and the chamber reamed to the US caliber. Different. I don't know why someone would undertake this kind of project though.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #4

Thanks for all the info guys. Yall found more than I did. I tried typing in all kinds of things from just "H. FettKotter" to "rifle in .32 win. spl.", but couldn't find anything of use.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #5

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I found a site that can help you identify this weapon and possible tell you about it, just send them an email with pics and description and see what they can do for you.

German Gun Collectors Association - Our Vision and Mission

Old 09-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #6

well, its defiantly German looks like k98 bolt, Gew98 rear sights (pre-1916) interesting

Old 09-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #7

mauser 98 look at http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/my-gew-98-project-17985/

i don't believe they came in 32 special, i could only guess that "H. Fettkotter" is the person that owned it or is the riflesmith that rechambered the rifle for 32 special.