Help with hunting rifle purchase - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help with hunting rifle purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Each of the four calibers you've just mentioned .. Look at them this way, their capability to take whitetail at extreme ranges exceeds my (and probably your) ability to hold on target without using sandbags or bi-pod.

With the costs going up and the selections getting out of hand, I don't envy you having to make your decision. However for me, if I could really afford a Kimber, it would be a no brainer.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #32

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

If you expect to continue range shooting, .308 would be the way to go. Its very adaquate for deer, less expensive ammo and less recoil. I like 30.06 myself but would never look down on .308. 300 mag is just over kill as is 7 mag. As for what brand, That would be a matter of taste and finances, Remington,Winchester,Savage,Howa,Marlin,Kimber,Bro wing,Weatherby all make Decent guns and $$$$ does not translate to accuracy, but mostly asthetics. You can buy 2 very accurate lower end rifles for the cost of one middle of the road fancy rifle. We won't even get into scopes because there are a lot of conflicting ideas on that subject.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #33

Well, after a whole lot more thinking and a bit more researching I think I've decided on this rifle:

X-Bolt Hunter, Accurate Bolt Action Deer Elk Big Game Varmint Hunting Rifle, Browning Firearms Product

It's got an adjustable trigger, it's not as expensive as the Kimber 8400 or the Browning Eclipse, I like the way it looks, it comes in many many different calibers, and I've read nothing but good things about their X-Bolt line. So I don't think I can go wrong with choosing it. Everyone has also said it shoulders nicely. I think it satisfies everything I'm picky about. Haha.

Is there anything bad I should know about this rifle before purchasing it? If not then I'll be purchasing it as soon as I can, and I'll let yall know how I feel about it after

Thanks to everyone that has posted in here. Majorly helped me find a rifle and learn new things about rifles. Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #34

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Browning.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #35

Haha good to know. Well my local Cabelas has one in stock so I'm going to go feel it up this week, and hopefully will be purchasing it next week sometime.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #36
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2572 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 738

It may be a little lower on the list, but you might want to look at the Weatherby Vanguard. It is a comparitively low cost rifle but they are available as a sub 1moa for more $ and have 2 stocks available. One full size and one for smaller shooters. A well fittting stock will make a rifle handle a lot better. I had to reduce a few stocks for my wife and kids. With Weatherby it is much simpler. If the shorter stock is a little too short, put on a bigger recoil pad. My son is 5'8" and added a recoil pad to one I cut down for him when he was smaller.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 11-16-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #37

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Just make sure you're wearing your hunting gear when you try it on.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 AM   #38

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Caliber....308 or 7mm-08, I'd prefer those over the 30-06

Rifle....lots of good ones mentioned, here is one not mentioned, very accurate out of box, good adjustable trigger and fairly low priced. The Marlin XS rifle...priced under $400.

Scope....best bang for the buck...heck of a scope for its price...equal to Nikon Monarchs for clarity/brightness of optics or any other brand in its price range is the Nitrex by Weaver scopes. A TR2 2-10X42 with pullup turrets sold by Natchez Shooters Supplies has a final cost of around $170 when $100 Nitrex rebate deducted and shipping added....can get a TR2 3-15X42 SF for $218 final cost. Worth a look at:

Nitrex TR Two 2-10X42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle - Natchez Shooters Supplies TR Two 2-10X42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle