Help with hunting rifle purchase - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help with hunting rifle purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Ok well I've done a bunch of looking around, and I really like these rifles. They're a little above the price range I put in the original post, but I'm working some things out so let's just ignore my price cap for now with these guns. I should be able to get all of these in 30-06 or 7mm Mag so that's good. But I'm curious what yall think about all these; keep in mind, aesthetics was part of my choosing process:

Kimber 8400 - Kimber > Rifles > Model 8400 > Classic Select Grade™

Browning A-Bolt - A-Bolt Eclipse™ Hunter with BOSS®, , Browning Firearms Product

Remington 700 CDL - Cabela's: Remington® Model 700™ CDL™ Rifle

Nikon 3-9X50 Scope - Cabela's: Nikon Pro Staff Riflescope

Savage Long-Range Hunter - Cabela's: Savage Long-Range Hunter Centerfire Rifles

Browning A-Bolt II Hunter - Cabela's: Browning® A-Bolt II Hunter

The Kimber 8400 and the Browning A-Bolt Eclipse are my favorites so far, just from what I've read and how they look. So I wanna learn the most about these two choices if nothing else. The scope there is the one I've pretty much decided to buy based off what everyone has said. Cabelas is a close drive for me so I'll probably be buying from them and they have it in stock. If that scope isn't a good choice, I'd like to know.

Questions, comments, advice? Let me know yall's thoughts.

Edit: Forgot to add the link to a Howa 1500. I'm looking at that one as well.

Last edited by Nyuu; 11-11-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #22

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm a HUGE Browning A-Bolt fan. The Browning offers several design features that IN MY OPINION put it ahead of the others. The Browning design features and quality would make it a good rifle for you to start out on, and you won't feel the need to step up to a "better" rifle later. You can top it with a 3x-9x-40mm, a 4.5x-14x-40mm, or a 4x-16x-40mm. Nikon, Weaver, Leupold, Zeiss, and Bushnell (4200) would make for a great scope for it. I would recommend steel rings. Personally I prefer 7mm diameter bullets (7mm08) for deer sized game but the 30-06 is going to be hard to beat for versatility and ease in finding ammo.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #23
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2270 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Savage Arms > Firearms > Gun Finder
The above link will take you to the Savage search website. Click on caliber,accutrigger and accustock and it will show you 6 - 30-06 rifles with accutrigger and accustock. These rifles are not pretty but accurate. Triggers are adjustable.
The Kimber is a beautiful rifle. I got out bid at 2 FNRA dinners for one in 308 and I dont need one. I have a Savage 10 Precision Carbine in 308.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 11-11-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #24

Liked 738 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Looks are nice, but I find the way a rifle comes to my shoulder and sights is everything. My Savage carries like a 2x4, but shoulders great. My Howa is a heavy barrel, but shoulders great. My Swede's, well I still have them. A hunting rifle is not a target rifle. You need to pick a few up. It is similar to trying on shoes! Just because it is in your size does not mean it will fit correctly.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2270 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 668

jp you are right but I picked up that Kimber and wow! My CZ rifles come up pretty nice too.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #26

Yea I hope they fit me correctly. I'm 5'6", so I'm not the tallest person in the world. But I've never really had an issue with any of the rifles I've ever shot, so I've never really factored that into the equation. I'll definitely make a decision based off that once I get to the store, but I guess that'll have to be the last step because I won't know til I'm holding it, haha.

But I wanna get some more input on the Kimber 8400 and the Browning A-Bolt. Pros, cons? I love the way both of those guns look, and everything I've read on them has been great; but I want to hear personal experiences. Are they worth the money they cost?; aesthetics counted in that price. Do they have any major problems?

Where can I find a list of specs for each gun based on caliber? I'd love to see how far both can fire a 30-06, .308, or 7mm Mag. I have no idea where I'd look to find that.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #27

Also (sorry for the bump), what's the difference between those 3 calibers I just listed and the 300 WSM? I found a Browning A-Bolt Eclipse in that round on gunbroker.com for sale around 400$ cheaper than Browning's website sells it for. So if that's a more powerful round, I don't see why not just buy it from there.

Anyways, a reply to this post and my previous one would be very much appreciated. Thanks everyone

Edit: Sorry, after scrolling down on their site I realized that was in the featured auction part. Underneath it were several several listings in 7mm Mag and other calibers, haha. So I could just buy it in the caliber I know. But even still, could someone answer me on whether it's more powerful or not?

Last edited by Nyuu; 11-15-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyuu View Post
Also (sorry for the bump), what's the difference between those 3 calibers I just listed and the 300 WSM? I found a Browning A-Bolt Eclipse in that round on gunbroker.com for sale around 400$ cheaper than Browning's website sells it for. So if that's a more powerful round, I don't see why not just buy it from there.

Anyways, a reply to this post and my previous one would be very much appreciated. Thanks everyone

Edit: Sorry, after scrolling down on their site I realized that was in the featured auction part. Underneath it were several several listings in 7mm Mag and other calibers, haha. So I could just buy it in the caliber I know. But even still, could someone answer me on whether it's more powerful or not?
300 WSM is alot more powerful than the other 3 rounds you mentioned. It will shoot farther and hit harder. But it will also hit you harder... alot harder. and hit your wallet alot harder too as wsm is not exactly cheap ammo. You will probably be able to shoot it about 5 times before you decide you will want mobility in your right shoulder the next day

Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
300 WSM is alot more powerful than the other 3 rounds you mentioned. It will shoot farther and hit harder. But it will also hit you harder... alot harder. and hit your wallet alot harder too as wsm is not exactly cheap ammo. You will probably be able to shoot it about 5 times before you decide you will want mobility in your right shoulder the next day
Hahaha thanks for the fast reply. I'm accustomed to taking a bruising so I'll get over it and push on xD Though I'll definitely check out ammo pricing on the website I use before making a decision. If it's 3-4 times more expensive per bullet than I'll probably not go for it, but if not then I'll consider getting that caliber instead.

Will it be too powerful for hunting whitetail? I don't mean unnecessary, as obviously it's not a necessary round for whitetail, but I mean will it ruin the meat?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #30

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

No i don't imagine so. I am not a hunter but i have friends who hunt and they use 300 WSM from time to time so i assume it is a good round for hunting white tail. I would imagine the WSM is good for hunting just about anything though short of elephants or rhino's.

Maybe someone who knows more about hunting can chime in with something more helpful than "i know a guy" lol