Help with hunting rifle purchase - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help with hunting rifle purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'd agree with Dillinger on the 30.06. Very versatile round.

There are a lot of used rifles out there in the price range you are looking at.

I've never shot a Howa, but if Opaww says he wouldnt tade his for all the money in the world that is saying a lot!

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #12

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Want to save a pant-load of $ take a look at this 308:

Savage EDGE 308 $268 Delivered

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #13

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Want to save a pant-load of $ take a look at this 308:

Savage EDGE 308 $268 Delivered
I shoot Savage rifles, but that thing is Butt Ugly. They should have called it the Hillary or Nancy!!!!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #14

I was at my local wally world this morning and they had one in 308 and one in 223(5.56), they didnt look that bad and they price was right would make a good back up rifle.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #15

Thanks for all the replies everyone, they're very helpful. I'm surprised I've gotten so many tbh, again thank you all.

I've been reading some more, and took into consideration the 7mm suggestion. What would that affect. I'm a numbers person, so don't worry about giving me too much information number-wise. I've shot a 7 mag before (know idea what brand or anything, we always just called it "the 7 Mag"), and I loved it. But what exactly does it mean? Is it faster, more powerful, or whatnot. I found a Remington 700 CDL in all 3 calibers suggested in this thread, and the 7mm was the most expensive pricing but only 50$ more, so if it's a better caliber, I'm willing to pay the extra 50$ for sure.

Also, aside from the caliber size, what should I know about the Remington 700 CDL. Is it as good as what has been suggested here? Better? Worse? It kinda stood out to me when I was doing some research, and I found a place very near to me that sells them.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Make sure that you factor in ammo cost and availability. .308 and 30-06 ammo is almost sold everywhere and in various "flavors". If cost is of no issue, go ahead and look at the more exotic calibers.

If the rifle is purely for hunting and not for hobby target shooting the cost might not factor in as much. If you reload (or plan to) then that will also change things a bit too.

Recoil is probably the biggest downside of the more powerful magnum caliber rifles. If you are just going to shoot deer and at short distances, why pay for more (ammo wise) and punish yourself? It all boils down to what you will use it for and the exact reason why I chose .308 over .270 and 30-06.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

my only complaint with the 308 is case capacity on loading. its got a few more compressed loads or loads near max capacity of the case than i care for. particles of powder tend to hop out of my progressive press meaning i gotta stop and clean it more often.

7mm mag is way harder to find and way more pricey ammo wise. if your biggest game is gonna be white tail 7mm mag is a lot. but hey i been tipping over whitetail since the mid 80's with a 458winmag

Old 11-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #18

Yea I'm probably gonna stick with 30-06 then. I'm ok with bullet price being higher for the 7mm mag, but if it's more of a pain to find then it's not worth the trouble. I'll check the local stores first before making a descision. My friend also uses a website (i think it's like ammunitiontogo.com or something), so I'll check that site out in a sec. Just talked to him about it. But I want to start hunting bigger game eventually, so it wouldn't hurt to have a 7mm mag for the future.

Well, now that I've got an idea on caliber. Anything else I should know? What scope brands are reliable, and what is the "average" objective lens size? And is it easy to find a 3-9x with an objective lens higher than 40mm? Or is it even worth it to buy one bigger than that? I do want to hunt in low light conditions as well.

Also, my friends dad reloads every bullet he shoots religiously. I've never done it or looked into it, but that is for sure an option; if I have to use his equipment at the very least or let him do it for me. So that'll cut my ammo costs quite a bit from what I've heard.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #19

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

The Savage Edge is a lot of bang for the buck but probably not as flhshy as you want. It has now changed it's name to Savage Axis. Accurate,Lite and made in U.S.A. I have one in .308, its a sleeper, in the vernacular of a Hot Rodder. Doesn't look like much but will surprise you.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #20

I love Savage guns, and although the entry level model (Edge/Axis) is not too beautiful, they do have nicer models that are still a great value. I shoot a "Hunter" Model 11, and I consider it a nice looking weapon. For deer, any of the mentioned calibers will be fine, mine is a 7mm08. All of the brands/models mentioned in this thread are quality, and I consider personal preference to be the most important factor. Good luck with your decision and hunting!