Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help with a firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default Help with a firearm

Ok...a friend is in a bit of a financial bind and needs to offload some guns. He has a neat little '06 I am interested in, but no clue what it is. It has a 1917 Enfield receiver, with the "dog leg" bolt handle. It has a 'flaming cannonball on the bolt handle along with a big "1". The barrel is stamped Cal. 30-06 and a 'flaming cannonball'. The barrel has a sight that appears to be very cheap, something that I would expect to see on a very cheap .22 or a bb gun. The front sight is a ugly...looks like it is off a old Marlin levergun.

The thing I don't understand is that I thought the flaming cannonball was a mark to show that it was a military rifle. Am I wrong? There is also a very old looking scope, a Weaver V9 3-9...

What is this rifle and what would the approx. value be in 75-80% condition. Oh...the stock is a cheap, heavy looking walnut that is very much gloss...the thing blinded me driving down the road when the sun hit it.

Any help would be wonderful...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8375 Times on 3624 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Casey- that mark is the "burning Bomb" and IS the mark for US military arms. Sounds like you have a Model 1917. Link for you: Collecting and Shooting the United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1917 - HISTORY

How much ANY gun is worth is based on make, model, condition, and ORIGINALITY.

I can't see your rifle- you are not holding in close enuff to the computer. A 17 in very good original condition may be $800 or more. If it has been Bubba'ed up, value drops like rock. Changing sights, cutting stocks, drilling and tapping for a scope, etc.

BTW, one theory is that the M1917 was the rifle used by SGT Alvin York in WW I.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #3

I think that the term 'buuba-ed up' would be an understatement. The front sight is actually blue and is a basic ramp front sight. The rear sight is a v-notch so I am pretty sure it is not stock.

As for the Sgt. York thing, I had always heard that there was a bunch of controversy that he was using the 1917 instead of the 1903. I guess it would be one of those things that we never really will find out unless we talk to him in Heaven.

As for the rifle, I took it to a gun shop today and they said that they would not sell it for more than $250 if it were in their shop. He said if I could get it for less than $250 it wouldn't be bad. I think I am going to pass. I would rather lend him the money than to take his prized rifle for that little of money and have him still needing more. Thanks for the information.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You could lend him the money with the rifle as security, like a pawn shop but with the understanding that you just want a chance to try it out, not to keep it.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default The "flaming bomb" mark is...

A US ordinance mark, but you might have a "souphound" gun on your hands!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #6

I do not know what a "souphound" is. Could you elaborate?