Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Help with a firearm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/help-firearm-33482/)

CaseyChadwell 10-24-2010 09:36 PM

Help with a firearm

Ok...a friend is in a bit of a financial bind and needs to offload some guns. He has a neat little '06 I am interested in, but no clue what it is. It has a 1917 Enfield receiver, with the "dog leg" bolt handle. It has a 'flaming cannonball on the bolt handle along with a big "1". The barrel is stamped Cal. 30-06 and a 'flaming cannonball'. The barrel has a sight that appears to be very cheap, something that I would expect to see on a very cheap .22 or a bb gun. The front sight is a ugly...looks like it is off a old Marlin levergun.

The thing I don't understand is that I thought the flaming cannonball was a mark to show that it was a military rifle. Am I wrong? There is also a very old looking scope, a Weaver V9 3-9...

What is this rifle and what would the approx. value be in 75-80% condition. Oh...the stock is a cheap, heavy looking walnut that is very much gloss...the thing blinded me driving down the road when the sun hit it.

Any help would be wonderful...

c3shooter 10-24-2010 11:53 PM

Casey- that mark is the "burning Bomb" and IS the mark for US military arms. Sounds like you have a Model 1917. Link for you: Collecting and Shooting the United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1917 - HISTORY

How much ANY gun is worth is based on make, model, condition, and ORIGINALITY.

I can't see your rifle- you are not holding in close enuff to the computer. :p A 17 in very good original condition may be $800 or more. If it has been Bubba'ed up, value drops like rock. Changing sights, cutting stocks, drilling and tapping for a scope, etc.

BTW, one theory is that the M1917 was the rifle used by SGT Alvin York in WW I.

CaseyChadwell 10-25-2010 10:33 PM

I think that the term 'buuba-ed up' would be an understatement. The front sight is actually blue and is a basic ramp front sight. The rear sight is a v-notch so I am pretty sure it is not stock.

As for the Sgt. York thing, I had always heard that there was a bunch of controversy that he was using the 1917 instead of the 1903. I guess it would be one of those things that we never really will find out unless we talk to him in Heaven.

As for the rifle, I took it to a gun shop today and they said that they would not sell it for more than $250 if it were in their shop. He said if I could get it for less than $250 it wouldn't be bad. I think I am going to pass. I would rather lend him the money than to take his prized rifle for that little of money and have him still needing more. Thanks for the information.

orangello 10-25-2010 10:43 PM

You could lend him the money with the rifle as security, like a pawn shop but with the understanding that you just want a chance to try it out, not to keep it.

nwrednk 10-26-2010 10:23 AM

The "flaming bomb" mark is...

A US ordinance mark, but you might have a "souphound" gun on your hands!:rolleyes:

CaseyChadwell 10-27-2010 02:12 PM

I do not know what a "souphound" is. Could you elaborate?