Help finding the best first rifle - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help finding the best first rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltramo09 View Post
I am looking into buying myself my first rifle. I have shot many types of guns before and currently own two shotguns. I decided that it's finally time to purchase my own rifle. I am looking for a rifle that won't cost me too much and possibly something that was used in a war. Any suggestions for a rifle that comes to mind after reading this?
Search for a Swiss Military Surplus K31 rifle... I guarantee you won't be disappointed. They are also quite accurate.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/05/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-k31-schmidt-rubin-rifle/

Become steel or get cut.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 95 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I would highly recommend the Ruger Mini 14 chambered in .223 / 5.56, it's my first rifle, bought it yesterday at gun show for $750. I chose blued over stainless and got the tactical version which comes with a flash suppressor, if you see these guns shot without the suppressor at dusk/dawn you get some major fireballs coming from the barrel. The guns mechanism is based on the famous Military M14 but has been scaled down to a smaller version of the M14 beast and shoots .223 / 5.56, Ruger does make a Mini 30 which shoots the .308 / 7.62 like the M14 did but it's a lot of power and ammo is big bucks compared to .223 / 5.56 The action is simple and reliable. Took it straight to range and fired off about 250 rounds. Only one failure which was, I am not sure the technical term but the pin struck the primer but clearly from inspection of the round not deep enough to fire the round. Accurate, recoil is reasonable, I have a little bruising on my shoulder, not able to be felt in soreness but can see a little bruising. Looking for some land to go feral pig hunting on next.

photo-1.jpg  

Old 06-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #23
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
I would highly recommend the Ruger Mini 14 chambered in .223 / 5.56, it's my first rifle, bought it yesterday at gun show for $750. I chose blued over stainless and got the tactical version which comes with a flash suppressor, if you see these guns shot without the suppressor at dusk/dawn you get some major fireballs coming from the barrel. The guns mechanism is based on the famous Military M14 but has been scaled down to a smaller version of the M14 beast and shoots .223 / 5.56, Ruger does make a Mini 30 which shoots the .308 / 7.62 like the M14 did but it's a lot of power and ammo is big bucks compared to .223 / 5.56 The action is simple and reliable. Took it straight to range and fired off about 250 rounds. Only one failure which was, I am not sure the technical term but the pin struck the primer but clearly from inspection of the round not deep enough to fire the round. Accurate, recoil is reasonable, I have a little bruising on my shoulder, not able to be felt in soreness but can see a little bruising. Looking for some land to go feral pig hunting on next.
Ruger has never made a Mini 30 that shoots 308 / 7.62 ammo. It has always been chambered in 7.62x39,the same as a SKS or AK 47 platform.

There has never been any Ruger Mini 14 or 30 that I'd consider in the same sentence with "A Target Rifle". They are fun rifles to shoot,but are not in the same category as a rifle built for precision shooting,like a good bolt action or a good varmint style AR-15.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 2485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Ruger has never made a Mini 30 that shoots 308 / 7.62 ammo. It has always been chambered in 7.62x39,the same as a SKS or AK 47 platform.

There has never been any Ruger Mini 14 or 30 that I'd consider in the same sentence with "A Target Rifle". They are fun rifles to shoot,but are not in the same category as a rifle built for precision shooting,like a good bolt action or a good varmint style AR-15.
Mini's aren't in the ball park with a target rifle but with a little tweaking they are capable of putting up some pretty impressive groups. And some where I've got some pics of the last group I shot out of mine that I would put up against all most any semi auto out there.

I really have to get my shop finished so I can get back to reloading some bullets and punching some more holes in paper!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #25

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Get a Bull Barrel Handi-Rifle in 243, Good Mounts and a Leuold Vari-X 3 3-9x40 and you have a good starter target that doubles as a good hunting rig.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:02 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have to recommend taking a look at the Ruger American rifles, available in many calibers, very accurate, adjustable triggers, the list goes on. And very budget friendly! I traded my sporterized 03A3 for one, and very happy with it! 6.25 lbs compared to the 9lbs with the war surplus version.
Just sayin'

Old 06-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #27

Liked 2459 Times on 1595 Posts

Ok, beltramo, I'm sure you got plenty of ideas to chew on. What direction are ya leaning towards? Are ya still here?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #28

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltramo09 View Post
I am looking into buying myself my first rifle. I have shot many types of guns before and currently own two shotguns. I decided that it's finally time to purchase my own rifle. I am looking for a rifle that won't cost me too much and possibly something that was used in a war. Any suggestions for a rifle that comes to mind after reading this?
Your first rifle should be a bolt action 22. Rifle shooting requires learning some new skills and a 22 will allow you to pick them up without having to deal with the recoil, noise and cost of centerfire ammo. Even now 100 22s are a lot cheaper than 100 centerfire cartridges.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #29

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
Your first rifle should be a bolt action 22. Rifle shooting requires learning some new skills and a 22 will allow you to pick them up without having to deal with the recoil, noise and cost of centerfire ammo. Even now 100 22s are a lot cheaper than 100 centerfire cartridges.
I think the OP wanted to something he could shoot, not something that he could spend all of his free time looking for ammo for

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!

TLuker Likes This 
Old 06-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 555

www.budsgunshop.com has howa actions for under $400. You can get a super cool stock from Boyds for around $150. For under $600 you have a nice rifle with a heavy fluted barrel, adjustable trigger. The stock may need to be fitted to the gun. If you are not a woodworker you have have a little in the hole for a gunsmith.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato