Help finding the best first rifle
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Help finding the best first rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help finding the best first rifle

I am looking into buying myself my first rifle. I have shot many types of guns before and currently own two shotguns. I decided that it's finally time to purchase my own rifle. I am looking for a rifle that won't cost me too much and possibly something that was used in a war. Any suggestions for a rifle that comes to mind after reading this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 486 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 970

Hey, welcome to the forums! Stop by the introduction section sometime so we can get to know you.

We need to know a few more things before we can really recommend a rifle. What are your purposes? What is your budget? Are you recoil shy? Are you going to want to use a scope?

If you want a rifle for hunting, what will you be hunting and where?

There are a ton of different factors that go into deciding which rifle. I'm sure that once you give us some more information we will be able to recommend some good choices.

Franklin
NewGunGuy77 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2014, 02:25 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1338 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 589

It's pretty hard to beat a Mosin Nagant for value if you want an infantry weapon that you can use for hunting.

There are now a plethora of Mosin Nagant upgrades, the most useful being polymer stocks and optical sight mount mechanisms.

You can upgrade your rifle as time and money permit, or simply leave it the way it came.

Ammunition is inexpensive and the rifle has the punch of a .308 for significantly less money.

As accuracy goes, it's a WWII Russian rifle. Don't be too surprised if it doesn't shoot like a 5K sniping rifle.

If you want something more modern that has seen service, you have the Remington 700 and Winchester Model 70, although both rifles cost significantly more than most variations of the Mosin Nagant.

The Remington and Winchester rifles were used in Viet Nam as sniping weapons.

If you greatly value accuracy and ergonomics, that costs more money. If you simply want a general purpose plinker or truck rifle, the Mosin Nagant variants are a bit more suitable.
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2014, 02:30 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

first you need to define the usage of the rifle, how much of a budget you plan on wanting to spend on the rifle, if you plan on using open sights or a scope and how much of a budget for the scope if desired.

how much shooting experiance with rifles?

how much shooting do you plan on doing? hunting usage or target shooting?

more information and details about you and what you desire for the usage of the rifle will help us make better suggestions that might suit your needs better.
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2014, 03:55 AM   #5

I plan on buying this gun for just target shooting. I would say my budget is $1000 or less. I'm not really sure if that is a good budget, but that is just a good number that came into my head. I am willing to spend more if I need to. My friend just bought a Mosin Nagant and although I haven't had the chance to shoot, I like it a lot. It just has a real nice look to it and a bolt action rifle is always nice. I have had a bit of experience shooting rifles and shotguns so I am not recoil shy.

Last edited by Beltramo09; 05-29-2014 at 04:04 AM.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltramo09 View Post
I plan on buying this gun for just target shooting. I would say my budget is $1000 or less. I'm not really sure if that is a good budget, but that is just a good number that came into my head. I am willing to spend more if I need to. My friend just bought a Mosin Nagant and although I haven't had the chance to shoot, I like it a lot. It just has a real nice look to it and a bolt action rifle is always nice. I have had a bit of experience shooting rifles and shotguns so I am not recoil shy.
Although the Mosin Nagant is a good gun for certain purposes, it is NOT a target rifle.

If you want a target rifle, I would recommend something like a Remington 700 or maybe a Savage rifle. Howa's and weatherby's also have a good reputation for accuracy.

You probably want to look for a .308, those are very accurate rounds and are commonly used in competition.

A general rule for scopes is that you get what you pay for. You might need to put at least $300 in it to get one that is good enough for target shooting. How far do you plan on shooting?

There are a lot of good choices out there for target rifles. Ultimately it's going to come down to the one that feels good in your hands and that you like the look of.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #7

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltramo09 View Post

milsurp rifles are not great target rifles. The few that would make good target rifles have been snapped up years ago. Combat accuracy is a 4" group at 100 yards. You can buy a $300 rifle and a $100 scope at walmart that will shoot a 2" group.

There are milsurp rifles that are very accurate. But to find that rifle you need to have extensive experience with rifles or be willing to pay a gunsmith to go shopping with you.

You would be much better off to buy a quality sporting rifle. Several manufacturers guarantee their rifles to shoot a .99" or smaller group with quality factory ammo.
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #8

Liked 2056 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I'd suggest something practical..............................
1337749579_0.jpg  
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I'd suggest something practical..............................
Don't you mean tacticool?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You do not state if you want a high power rifle. You can target shoot with a 22 and the ammo is much less expensive. You can also shoot at shorter distances of 50-100 yards as a high power rifle is usually shot at distances out of 500 yards which will require special range facilities.
As a beginning rifle shooter and if you have not shot high power rifles the likely hood of developing a flinch due to recoil and report is a real possibility.
A good 22 rifle will cost much less than your budget and what you save on ammo can be accumulated towards a high power rifle in the future
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.