Help with decisions on custom Rem 700 action - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help with decisions on custom Rem 700 action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I have a Lawton, and while it is a 700 style actions, it is far better than the one that being put out by the big green marketing machine.

Thing cycles like a Swiss watch and it's 100% made in the USA just for good measure.

http://www.lawtonmachine.com/actions.html
Forgot about them. Yes they are extremely nice actions.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #12

We need to keep this within financial reason though folks!! I cannot be throwing 2K at a custom action for this. I kind of planned to get an OEM or cheaper action and blue print it and square everything up and give it a go. I am still not quite sure why certain aspects of a receiver are "precision" reworked when they just do not matter in terms of accuracy.

I guess I have to think about that cartridge locking up in the chamber. Taper (precise) fit, repeatable. Why on earth would the diameter of the bolt affect accuracy? I realize the "feel" is nice but I just want accuracy from the rifle. I can certainly see where having the receiver truly square or straight with the barrel though.

Maybe I can learn something...

Last edited by fastline; 10-04-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post
We need to keep this within financial reason though folks!! I cannot be throwing 2K at a custom action for this. I kind of planned to get an OEM or cheaper action and blue print it and square everything up and give it a go. I am still not quite sure certain aspects of a receiver are "precision" refined when they just do not matter in terms of accuracy.
If you are doing the machine work then a savage, Howa, Remington, or Sako/ Tikka action will work.

If you are paying someone to do the work then you are going to be spending just as much to get all that work done plus pay for the action. 6 in one hand half dozen in the other man.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

A Savage action would be the easiest to work with.You can use a long action receiver and just change the bolt head to the size you need.
Before Savage came out with the Model 10 or 12 actions,every caliber came with a long action receiver and bolt.They just had block-offs in the magzines for the short action calibers.
There are aftermarket companies that offer bottom metal kits and hi capacity drop mags for the long actions.You would have to figure out how to make a short action length cartridge work in them,but that shouldn't take long to work that out.

If you are a machinist,you could just make a magazine that fits the long action receiver,but use a short action follower and spring to fit inside it.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #15

Well, I have a Savage FCP, .308, and Savage 116 in .300 RUM. The problem is IMO, they are both too valuable as complete guns to start chopping them up and it seems that anything less than a super special tactical barrel has no value used. I am sure my .308 barrel has value but kind of hard to do it.

I guess I was looking for a platform that could be both economical and popular enough to find parts. I would love to find a used action and go from there but just not sure yet. Action new is like 400 bucks. I have my complete .300RUM for sale for 450..... Sell the barrel for 50, stock for 50, I am in cheaper than new.. The 116 does not have the accu trigger and I am used to a 1.5lb trigger so it would need considerable work there. I am also not sure if all savages have the removable face?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #16

I was under the impression that you were wanting a CUSTOM action by the title of your thread.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/actions/target/

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32498/Product/Small-700-SA-Receiver-Blued

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=307586847

Buy the complete gun sell the stock and barrel bottom metal and trigger. Then do what you want with it.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #17
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post
Well, I have a Savage FCP, .308, and Savage 116 in .300 RUM. The problem is IMO, they are both too valuable as complete guns to start chopping them up and it seems that anything less than a super special tactical barrel has no value used. I am sure my .308 barrel has value but kind of hard to do it.

I guess I was looking for a platform that could be both economical and popular enough to find parts. I would love to find a used action and go from there but just not sure yet. Action new is like 400 bucks. I have my complete .300RUM for sale for 450..... Sell the barrel for 50, stock for 50, I am in cheaper than new.. The 116 does not have the accu trigger and I am used to a 1.5lb trigger so it would need considerable work there. I am also not sure if all savages have the removable face?
What would you have to "Chop" on them?
From what I see,you would be doing a barrel swap on your 116 action.Change the bolt head on your bolt.
You could install a SSS Competition Trigger for about $100,it adjusts from 12oz-2lbs.
Buy another stock,and inlet it for a DBM bottom metal kit,and modify the long action magazines to fit the COAL length of the 500 whisper cartridge.
Sounds like a pretty simple solution to me,and if you want to shoot your 300RUM,just take the 500 whisper barrel off,install the 300RUM,change bolt heads,install barreled action back in your original stock,and go shoot it.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #18

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You could start with a savage /stevens 200 rifle as they can be bought new for right around 300 dollars and sell off the barrel. It is nothing more than the old model 10 savage and then your open to what ever trigger pull you want. Yes the diffeent bolt faces are avalible but you can buy it in 223.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #19

I really appreciate all the ideas guys! I do like the Stevens 200 idea and if I thought there was a market for the take off parts, I would move that way and just buy a .223 and convert it.

However, it got me thinking about just selling my .330 RUM parts as a "conversion kit" and see if I can find any takers. Stainless barrel, bolt face, and stock.

What REALLY sucks is I just sold a model 11 .243 for south of 300. For that price I could have sold the barrel and bolt face and been looking really good for this build. I guess I will try to market the 300 RUM parts first.

If you guys have any other ideas, let me know. Certainly pulling me away from the 700 action but I think many of them today are modeled close to the 700 anyway.

Regarding the trigger, I would probably take mine apart first and rework it. I have had good success in the past making triggers how I want them with just some polishing and spring work.

QUESTION: On the Stevens 200, if I bought that in .223, would it still be a long action?

Last edited by fastline; 10-07-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #20
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No,You'd have to get a Long action caliber with the Stevens 200,and change out the bolt head.

You would still save a bunch of money if you just used the 116 action that you already have,and still have the option of using the 300 RUM setup if you ever wanted/needed too.
If you really want to sell the 300 RUM/or parts of it,you can probably sell it fast on the Savage Shooters forum.