Help choosing a semi-auto ranch rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help choosing a semi-auto ranch rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Help choosing a semi-auto ranch rifle

Can you recommend a good ranch rifle?

My in-laws will be moving to a small ranch (in the Valley/South TX) and starting to look at their possible arms needs. They will be taking some firearm training soon and lined up purchase for a semi-auto pistol, revolver, air rifle, and a shotgun. I think they also need a rifle (semi-auto) and any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

They have goats and cows but not sure what predators (other than the 2 legged kind) they will have to deal with.

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. Here's a link, it's available in an all weather stainless/synthetic model as well: Ruger

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 AM   #3

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Ya just can't beat a good old AR-15.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

im not 100% sure on what other predators the valley will have, but it will have coyotes. that might be the only thing you'll have to worry about.

the mini 14 is a great gun, but im going to second canebrakes suggestion for an AR-15. IMO its more versatile, the stock can be adjusted, so you, your wife, in-laws, and just about anyone can shoot it and not have it feel too big. also the availability of parts and accessories.
both are .223, great calibre for varmints.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:40 AM   #5

I'll second the Mini-14. It's a decently accurate weapon (though not as accurate as an AR-15), VERY tough and reliable, and relatively easy to maintain (easier to maintain than an AR-15).

Just my two cents.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight." -Psalms 144:1

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:9

Old 06-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

gonna need something belt fed with rate that the druggies are invading with no response no protection from the feds

Old 06-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #7

Liked 322 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Aw hell, get a mini 14. You dont have to take care of it much and it will always fire even if its really dirty and fouled, and it's more than accurate enough to dispatch coyotes. The newer 580 series are the way to go. They are more accurate than the older 180 series. Actually, the accuracy of the newer 580 sereis mini's will surprise you regardless of what the AR fans have to say here.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #8

Depending on the range, how about an SKS with a rear aperture sight from Tech Sights?
These really improve the accuracy. With an original SKS, the magazine is always attached.
The new Russian jhp or fmj ammo is only .25/rd. with shipping.

On the other hand, my old ('90) Mini 14 was also the most reliable gun I've owned and never had a single ftf. Ruger sells factory twenty-rd. mags for both the Mini 14 and 30. This surprised a very large number of people.
My 14 and 30 only use newer Russian ammo. Only sold the 14 to buy my first Lee-Enfield "Jungle Carbine"... a very handy gun with ten rounds of real 'punch'.

Last edited by Laufer; 06-02-2010 at 06:47 AM.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I lean towards a little heavier gun/bullet,
FNAR 7.62x51mm Rifles

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.