Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Help choosing a semi-auto ranch rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/help-choosing-semi-auto-ranch-rifle-27761/)

Poink88 06-01-2010 02:28 AM

Help choosing a semi-auto ranch rifle

Can you recommend a good ranch rifle?

My in-laws will be moving to a small ranch (in the Valley/South TX) and starting to look at their possible arms needs. They will be taking some firearm training soon and lined up purchase for a semi-auto pistol, revolver, air rifle, and a shotgun. I think they also need a rifle (semi-auto) and any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

They have goats and cows but not sure what predators (other than the 2 legged kind) they will have to deal with.

Thank you.

CA357 06-01-2010 03:05 AM

Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. Here's a link, it's available in an all weather stainless/synthetic model as well: Ruger

canebrake 06-01-2010 03:12 AM

Ya just can't beat a good old AR-15.

mcramer 06-01-2010 05:34 AM

im not 100% sure on what other predators the valley will have, but it will have coyotes. that might be the only thing you'll have to worry about.

the mini 14 is a great gun, but im going to second canebrakes suggestion for an AR-15. IMO its more versatile, the stock can be adjusted, so you, your wife, in-laws, and just about anyone can shoot it and not have it feel too big. also the availability of parts and accessories.
both are .223, great calibre for varmints.

JoeParker 06-02-2010 12:40 AM

I'll second the Mini-14. It's a decently accurate weapon (though not as accurate as an AR-15), VERY tough and reliable, and relatively easy to maintain (easier to maintain than an AR-15).

Just my two cents.

JonM 06-02-2010 12:58 AM

gonna need something belt fed with rate that the druggies are invading with no response no protection from the feds

mrm14 06-02-2010 03:06 AM

Aw hell, get a mini 14. You dont have to take care of it much and it will always fire even if its really dirty and fouled, and it's more than accurate enough to dispatch coyotes. The newer 580 series are the way to go. They are more accurate than the older 180 series. Actually, the accuracy of the newer 580 sereis mini's will surprise you regardless of what the AR fans have to say here.

Laufer 06-02-2010 05:37 AM

Depending on the range, how about an SKS with a rear aperture sight from Tech Sights?
These really improve the accuracy. With an original SKS:), the magazine is always attached.
The new Russian jhp or fmj ammo is only .25/rd. with shipping.

On the other hand, my old ('90) Mini 14 was also the most reliable gun I've owned and never had a single ftf. Ruger sells factory twenty-rd. mags for both the Mini 14 and 30. This surprised a very large number of people.
My 14 and 30 only use newer Russian ammo. Only sold the 14 to buy my first Lee-Enfield "Jungle Carbine":D... a very handy gun with ten rounds of real 'punch'.

Flint Rock 06-02-2010 11:17 AM

I lean towards a little heavier gun/bullet,
FNAR 7.62x51mm Rifles