Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Help with accuracy issues savage 10fp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help with accuracy issues savage 10fp

hi i am having some issues and would like to collect some collective knowledge about what it may be or if i need to send it back to savage to have the barrell/chamber looked at. ok went to the range today. terrible accuraccy with my savage 10 fp in 308. like 2-3 moa. now when i got the gun i could put 5 shots into a group the size of a quarter at 200yds. yes i did try about 5 different types/weights of ammo. bulk 150 gr fmj 308 i had that shoots well in everything else and used to in the savage at least i thought remington 150 core lokt some winchester 165 grain all grouped like crap..some of the bullets that i shot that were in my gun room didnt even appear to hit at 100yds. (also it seems to have had degrading accuraccy every time i have shot it. i thought it might be copper fouling but i have only shot 200-400 rds through the gun in the last two years since i bought it. and to clarify the gun has a rail on top and heavy duty steel rings and a millett tactical scope. i have rifles that have way more rounds than that through them and are putting bullets in the same hole at 100 yds. im going to get some more copper solvent today and try that i have heard that savage barrels are terrible about copper fouling. i also know that the headspace on the rifles are very very tight and it will only chamber certain rounds. and most handloads that were shot from other rifles will not even chamber.ehhh.. im at the end of my rope with this thing its one of my favorite rifles and its annoying me its shooting so bad. any info will be appriciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

2-400 rds without properly cleaning the barrel is exactly your problem.
I don't like putting 20 through my CZ barrel without cleaning it.

Sweets 762 cleaner, Hoppes #9 and CLP until the patch is clean.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1722 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 545

If it is not fouling, Have you removed the action from the stock? It needs to be re torqued if you did. I am looking at a possible scope problem as well. I had a scope go bad in less than 40 rounds on a 308 Savage 10PC. I went from sub MOA for the 1st 20 to 2 MOA for the 2nd 20. Changed scopes and back to sub MOA. It was in Leupold steel mounts and rings. I cleaned the barrel after each shot for the 1st 5 and then after each 3 shot group for the next 15. When my groups started opening up I cleaned it again but did not help so I changed the scope and that fixed it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 12-29-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #4

thanks you guys are great. less than an hour and 2 replies. cleaning it now getting lots of crud out of it. i have ran a bore snake through it a few times with oil. but i was in the military most of the time i had the rifle and i had to store the rifle off base and wasnt able to really clean it the way it needed to be cleaned. kind of shoot for 30 mins and put it back into storage. now that im back home i went to shoot it but never really have experienced copper fouling before. thousands of rounds down range expert pistol and rifle shot and scored 4th at the camp pendleton matches in 2008 with a m14. but i guess the more you shoot and deal with weapons its just a nonstop learning expereince. thanks ill shoot today or tomorrow let you know if its fixed.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #5

also what kind of scope did you have that went bad?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #6

shot today and it only had 1-1.5 inch goups with some old winchester 150s.. gotta get better. going to have to get some other ammo and try that..

Old 12-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Forget the Bore snake! If you don't put them in the washer, or wash them by hand, your just adding grunge back in. Get an otis cleaning kit and a 1000 pack of patches. The patches only last me 2 years. For regular cleaning, FP10 works well, it also preserves and lubes. My rifles never freeze in the winter. CLP still works great also. Try a box of match ammo, you may see a huge improvement. It will at least give you an idea of what is happening.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep606 View Post
also what kind of scope did you have that went bad?
It was a Simmons Aetec which is their top of the line. I will send it back some day when I need a scope for a 22lr. That is all they are good for. Bushnell makes them and Millet now. The old Simmons Whitetail Expedition was a good scope.

Patron Member NRA
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep606 View Post
shot today and it only had 1-1.5 inch goups with some old winchester 150s.. gotta get better. going to have to get some other ammo and try that..
That is about right for the Winchester 150. Try some Federal Match.

Patron Member NRA

Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 522

I'd probably say that your barrel needs to be thoroughly cleaned.You also are probably getting some bad groups from shooting handloads that were made for another gun-Bad Idea,if they were hard to chamber.High chamber pressures can damage your gun.
Shooting factory hunting ammo,don't expect sub-moa performance.Most do good to get 1-2 moa at 100 yards.
Bore snakes are good to use at the range for a pass thru cleaning,but that's it.Nothing works better than a good scrubbin with solvent and patches.

I've only had Copper fouling issues with one of my Savages,my 25/06,all of my others have been fine and I shoot'em a bunch.

Try some quality Match ammo after you clean it,and maybe it will impress you again.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club