Hello fine people..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hello fine people..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hello fine people..

I just recently purchased a used Winchester model 70 30.06 extreme weather 3 round. Just a couple of questions. This is the first scoped rifle I have ever owned ( I have owned guns all my life, but never one with a scope). The scope on this gun is loose in it's mount and I need to sight it in. I have never done this before and any tips and tricks would be helpful. Secondly, is there any way too increase the magazine capacity? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Stop by the introduction section of the forum and tell us a little about yourself, and then someone will be along to answer your question

Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome. It sounds like either the scope rings or the scope base are loose. It's easy to fix.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-24-2010, 04:45 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

After your introduction, can you post some pics of your scope setup? Closeups.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #5

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Nice to have you amoung us. There are plenty of people here that can answer your questions. Tighten up your scope, shoot a decent group from a sturdy rest then adjust your crosshairs to the center of the group without leting the gun move. This will get you started.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First, tighten the scope bases/rings up with a properly fitting HOLLOW GROUND screwdriver bit. Sets of these are available from any gun store, Wal-mart, or online at Midway or Brownells. Now that the scope is tight you can begin sighting in.

Shoot 1 shot from a secure, solid rest at a range of 25 yards. Without moving the rifle whatsoever like Dteed said, adjust the center of the reticle (crosshairs) over exactly to the bullet hole. Fire a shot at the center of the target now to confirm, it should be exactly centered in the bull. Move your target back to 100 yards. Your rifle/scope will be shooting a little high (about 3"). Adjust down to center your scope on the bull. Note that most scopes will have a value of 1/4" per click adjustment @ 100 yards.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #7

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 43

you can take your gun to a sporting goods or gun store that does bore laser sighting,shouldn't cost much if anything at all,and that will get you on paper.You will still have to do a final sighting in manually at the range,but the laser sighting will save you a few rounds of ammo.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves