Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Heirloom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Heirloom

My father wants to buy my brother and I each an "heirloom" type firearm that can be passed down to our sons, and one day their sons, etc.... My brother is interested in a pistol, and I told him he couldn't go wrong with a Colt 1911.

I've got a nice inventory of guns, but want to make the right decision. After a lot of thinking and research, I think I've decided on a Ruger Number 1. It is simple, timeless, and a work of art, (not to mention as strong as a brick sh*t house).

As far as what caliber, part of me wants the old 45-70, which is what a lot of these falling block shooting platforms used over a century ago. The other part of me would like it to be a more "shootable" rifle, with less recoil - something that kids can shoot, and possibly take their first deer with, like a 243.

I would love to hear others' opinions.

Thanks!

Z

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1950

I like the Ruger No.1 but I don't think it truly represents single shots? I would be looking at a Winchester 1885 reproduction. The big advantage of the single shot is that it essentially has no action compared to an automatic or bolt action. It is almost all barrel. That lets you get a longer barrel rifle with the overall length of a standard rifle. What action it does have is also extremely simply and accurate. That combined with the longer barrel makes it a great long range rifle, which is what the original single shots were. The 1885 was built for long range precision shooting. The Ruger No1 is a great rifle but I always hated that they didn't take advantage of the design and add a longer barrel.

As for caliber I would get it in a great long range flat shooting caliber. I don't think it's available in the 1885 Winchester repo. but a 6.5 Creedmoor would be ideal? That's a fairly new caliber (named in honor of the Creedmoor matches) and it was also design for long range precision shooting. It would be a perfect match for the rifle that earned its reputation at the Creedmoor matches. If it's not available then any similar cartridge would work great.

That would give you a truly classic rifle with an amazing history that would last you and your kids from now on. It would also give you something really fun to shoot and recoil wouldn't be an issue with something like a 6.5 Creedmoor.

On a trivial side note, the 1885 Winchester was design by John M. Browning and it's what started his legendary career.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think the no 1 is a great choice. As far as caliber, personally I would go with .45-70. I've fired it out of a marlin, I really didn't think it was bad at all. I think just about anybody could shoot a normal factory load, and I'll bet you could find some cowboy loads that would be lighter.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #4

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Single shot rifles are classic firearms. The Ruger Number one is designed from the great Farquharson single shot. This was invented in Scotland in 1872. A classic caliber such as a .375 H&H would be timeless.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Single shot rifles are classic firearms. The Ruger Number one is designed from the great Farquharson single shot. This was invented in Scotland in 1872. A classic caliber such as a .375 H&H would be timeless.
Yes, but I'm guessing not very much fun to shoot.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1626 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzem68 View Post
My father wants to buy my brother and I each an "heirloom" type firearm that can be passed down to our sons, and one day their sons, etc.... My brother is interested in a pistol, and I told him he couldn't go wrong with a Colt 1911.

I've got a nice inventory of guns, but want to make the right decision. After a lot of thinking and research, I think I've decided on a Ruger Number 1. It is simple, timeless, and a work of art, (not to mention as strong as a brick sh*t house).

As far as what caliber, part of me wants the old 45-70, which is what a lot of these falling block shooting platforms used over a century ago. The other part of me would like it to be a more "shootable" rifle, with less recoil - something that kids can shoot, and possibly take their first deer with, like a 243.

I would love to hear others' opinions.

Thanks!

Z
I agree nothing says heirloom like a single shot. But a good lever gun is not far behind. I don't have a thing against the Ruger NO 1 either. They are a very fine rifle. But IMHO nothing would say heirloom like a Shiloh Sharps. You could still go with the 45-70 or my choice would probably be the 45-110..

Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #7

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Winchester offers the 1885 with a 24" octagonal barrel in 6.5x55.

That's what I would go for. - Classic through and through.

The Ruger #1 just doesn't measure up to the 1885, no way.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #8

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I totally agree with your choice of the #1 and in a light kicking cartridge. +1

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #9

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I would like a Ruger #1 myself. But I would get one in a more modern cartridge. Maybe a .308 or something like that. I would be concerned about ammo availability in 100 years. I have gotten my son to help me with reloading a little. But who knows latter in life. I would hate for them to sell it because they couldn't get ammo.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #10

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I would not consider the fake Winchesters marked made in Japan. I own and shoot the copies of Sharps rifles. I would go with an American made firearm or a high end European Shot gun. Investing in fine vintage Winchesters made in America before 1963 would be better than investing in gold. Colt handguns are always a winner.