heavy barrel vs flutted

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > heavy barrel vs flutted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default heavy barrel vs flutted

Does any one know the advantages/disadvantages of a heavy barrel and or a flutted barrel, what would you go with and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

A thicker barrel increases weight dampens vibration heats up slower cools down slower.

Fluted barrel increases weight less dampens vibration less is harder to machine correctly cools down much faster due to larger surface area heats up faster than heavy barrel due to less mass.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

A heavy barrel is stiffer than a light barrel, and has a greater mass to soak up heat.

The fluted barrel is as stiff (or nearly as stiff) and a heavy barrel, and is lighter to carry. SOME folks believe that the greater surface area created by fluting makes for better heat dissipation, but I feel this is minimal.

Which one? What floats yer boat. I have one .308 with a barrel thinner than a buggy whip. 3 rapid shots, too hot to touch. It is on a very Little carbine made for a deer hunter- you are gonna CARRY that rifle a lot, and fire a couple of shots.

But I have a .220 Swift with a barrel that could be used as a truck axle. Heavier than a mortgage. Prairie dog gun. Not going to be carrying other than from the truck to where I am setting up. Going to shoot it until I run out of ammo, Pdogs, or daylight.

(Jon- I have to learn to type faster!)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

You typed more words than me heh.

My savage 10fcpsr holds moa through heavy use and heat. There is a slight bit of stringing but its not bad. Its got a heavier than normal barrel with slight fluting and is a good solid shooter. Im not sure why savage rifles are so accurate but they are. For being a heavier barreled gun and 24inches it sure doesnt feel heavy even with a nightforce and bipod it feels lighter than my old remington 700 xcr compact tactical.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...