Head to head 308 family cartridges. - Page 2


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Head to head 308 family cartridges.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,035
Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Default

What if you did a .308, 7-08, and .260rem Using 150gr for the 1st 2 and a 140gr for the second 2, same bullet design. That would show some useable data. I find max load velocity all over the place in different loading manuals and powder manufacturers. If you're using 748 and 4350, post data you have w/ those. I use 4064 as my go to for .308. It also works well w/ 129gr and down 6.5x55 cartridges. I know this is not the reloading section, but since there are so many of us here that shoot similar cartridges, why not? I don't necessarily care about velocity when working up a load for accuracy, but knowing w/ some rifles that the action I'm using is stronger then what was tested, or the norm I'll hot rod a bit. Sometimes the accuracy is unreal. 8x57 is the perfect example. Most data shows max for a 175gr Sierra pro hunter at 45gr, 47gr, some 49gr. I've got a load at 53gr that has zero pressure signs and is very accurate. Not listing the powder for obvious reasons. When I picked up some Barnes TSX 180gr there was no data. I talked w/ the techs at Barnes and they assured me that if the 175 could be loaded w/ 53gr, so could the 180gr. They were right. I also will hot rod my '98 action 6.5x55 using '96 action data which seems to be the common data.



__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 528
Liked 195 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Default

Sadly a across the board 150gr comparison would be fruitless, 150gr bullets would be marginal in both the 6.5mm and 30 cal, too short and stubby to have great ballistics in the 308 and too long to stabilize in a low drag boat tail 6.5mm even with a 1:8 twist, those max out about 142gr.
My 6.5x55 LOVES RL22 for 140gr bullets and RL19 for 120-130gr. I have a modern action so I can run full pressures, 46.5gr of RL22 and 48.5gr of RL19 with 120s. The most accurate load I have tested thus far was 45.5gr of RL19 and a 129gr SST loaded to 3.098" that load shoots one semi smooth hole in my Tikka T3 that measures 1/12th MOA.



__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,089
Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
Oh I like the ol 358 and even the newcomer .338 Fed but neither one of them is in any contention for any long range work, both of those are hard hitting woods rifles. Besides kinna hard to do an apples to apples comparison since I cannot get Ballistic Tips in 338 and 358 caliber.
The 358 is one of my favorite calibers for hard hitting medium range cartridges, but they are so limited in selection you just about have to have a custom built to meet your needs. I have had a Ruger 77 and BLR in 358 and wish I still had them.
__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 528
Liked 195 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Default

I have been itching to build a 358 Win on a Mauser action for quite some time now, a 225gr at 2400fps would be a close range wrecking machine in the woods.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,089
Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
I have been itching to build a 358 Win on a Mauser action for quite some time now, a 225gr at 2400fps would be a close range wrecking machine in the woods.
Both of the 358's I had loved the 225 BX bullets.
__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,035
Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
Sadly a across the board 150gr comparison would be fruitless, 150gr bullets would be marginal in both the 6.5mm and 30 cal, too short and stubby to have great ballistics in the 308 and too long to stabilize in a low drag boat tail 6.5mm even with a 1:8 twist, those max out about 142gr.
My 6.5x55 LOVES RL22 for 140gr bullets and RL19 for 120-130gr. I have a modern action so I can run full pressures, 46.5gr of RL22 and 48.5gr of RL19 with 120s. The most accurate load I have tested thus far was 45.5gr of RL19 and a 129gr SST loaded to 3.098" that load shoots one semi smooth hole in my Tikka T3 that measures 1/12th MOA.
No, 150 in .308 and 7-08 and 140 in 7-08 and .260. BTW, I shoot 160gr RN in my 6.5x55's w/ a 1:8.5 and 1:9 twist. They stablize just fine.
These 155gr look interesting for things that bite back!
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DGSC_G155_BBW_13
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 528
Liked 195 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Default

In my 6.5x55 I am torn between the speed/trajectory of my 120gr Ballistic Tips and my deadly accurate 140gr SSTs. Both are beyond deadly on game. I get good accuracy out of my 129gr but I have yet to get impressive accuracy and speed out of the same load, might try again once the new 129gr Accubond LR hits the market. Tried 140gr VLDs that is the ONLY bullet I have yet to get to group great in my 6.5x55 everything else has shot .75" or better first time out with at leased one load.
I have been wanting to add a 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore to my collection, a modern short action version of the Swede sounds great to me.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,089
Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
In my 6.5x55 I am torn between the speed/trajectory of my 120gr Ballistic Tips and my deadly accurate 140gr SSTs. Both are beyond deadly on game. I get good accuracy out of my 129gr but I have yet to get impressive accuracy and speed out of the same load, might try again once the new 129gr Accubond LR hits the market. Tried 140gr VLDs that is the ONLY bullet I have yet to get to group great in my 6.5x55 everything else has shot .75" or better first time out with at leased one load.
I have been wanting to add a 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore to my collection, a modern short action version of the Swede sounds great to me.
I too would like to get into the 6.5 arena. I have never used any of them (one of the few calibers I have not had the pleasure to experience).
So many calibers, so little time!

Well not completely true, I did have and experimented with a 264 Win Mag many years ago.


__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
AFL-CIO head jpattersonnh Politics, Religion and Controversy 9 04-23-2012 03:32 AM
I must need my head examined... AZL 1911 Forum 9 12-05-2011 11:15 AM
Head for the Hills! mpd8488 The Club House 8 02-04-2009 03:03 AM