Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   HD VIDEO: Greatest Battle Rifle of All Time? The M1 Garand (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/hd-video-greatest-battle-rifle-all-time-m1-garand-73399/)

Amsdorf 09-29-2012 05:16 PM

HD VIDEO: Greatest Battle Rifle of All Time? The M1 Garand

I finally got around to making a more thorough video demonstrating the Garand from various angles, with some slow motion, etc. On this video I put forward my opinion that the M1 Garand was the greatest battle rifle of all time because of how it was used and what it accomplished. Would enjoy hearing other perspectives on this question, which is probably one of those issues that will remain a subject for discussion and consideration for a long time.

Any rate, would love to see your favorite Garand demonstration videos and anything else you might want to add to the conversation.

nitestalker 09-29-2012 06:08 PM

I have two Garands which I really like to shoot. I don't however agree that by todays standards it is the best every military rifle. Back 70 years ago when Gen. Patton made the claim maybe so. The rifle is heavy too long very complicated for field stripping. The metal in these old girls is much less than it should be for rounds above 147 grs. And yes wood stocks are neat but again very out dated for combat. The long 30-06 Ctg has a lower cycle rate than the .308 Ctg. They can not be used for select fire. The piston operated long OP rods are given to failure. The modern DI operated Stoner system is easier to keep going for a GI. The Direct Impenchment gas system has been used longer than any other military rifle system in our nations history. This could go on, but less end on the Garand magazine which can not be topped off in battle. :)

Amsdorf 09-30-2012 05:02 PM

If you had watched the video, you would know why I call the Garand the greatest battle rifle in history.

: )

nitestalker 10-05-2012 07:33 PM

Oh yea, if you had carried one and really used it you might agree with me.:D

therewolf 10-05-2012 09:05 PM

My first rifle. (BB guns don't count)

It holds a special place in my heart.

Best iron sights EVER.

Amsdorf 10-06-2012 01:07 PM

The sights are definitely great!

Chainfire 10-06-2012 01:12 PM

The greatest battle rifle of its time, would have been a better title.

Amsdorf 10-06-2012 02:52 PM

Maybe...maybe not.

: )

nitestalker 10-06-2012 02:54 PM

Chainfire that is the correct answer.:D The German Walther Semi-auto was used in WWII as was the full auto assault rifles. The Japs had a copy of the M1 Garand as well. The Russians had the Semi-auto Tolerev as well. There were many semi-auto rifles used in WWII.:)

Amsdorf 10-06-2012 03:43 PM

Anyone who is familiar with the semi-auto battle rifles used in WWII would never think to suggest anyone had one that was the equal of a M1 Garand.

That's just silly talk.