Hay! - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Hay!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

and the M1A would serve your purposes pretty well I think. Sounds like you are just looking for a good all around rifle that has a good range, and this one fits for sure, seeing as you are looking for a semi. like I said though, I think I would just go with the standard instead of the socom (we are talking about the M1A right and not something else?) only because it is cheaper and has a longer barrel which will make it a bit more accurate at longer ranges.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #12

Likes Given: 1

I had never heard of the snapping thing either. That's interesting. Could you do the same thing with just a spent cartridge without causing harm to the rifle?

Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #13

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennuke View Post
I don't have one thing I'm going to do with it I don't shoot competition so that's not a problem I just want a rifle that doesn't drop to fast and is reliable what got me going on the socom was ...well the history I guess.
pluss I was hopping for a semiato
I'll use a min14 on the groundhogs.
After 400 yards the .308 does drop fast. This is using a 150gr at 2600fps, which is very close to 7.62x51 spec.
W/ a 400 yard zero between 100 and 300 yards you will be between 9.5" to 15" high.
At 450, 10.8" low
500, 25.2" low
550, 43.6" low

When I see the Socom, history does not come to mind. An M1a, that has history and a serious cool factor.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:37 AM   #14

sorry I should have been more specific the hole M1 series has history the socom just got it by osmosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
and the M1A would serve your purposes pretty well I think. Sounds like you are just looking for a good all around rifle that has a good range, and this one fits for sure, seeing as you are looking for a semi. like I said though, I think I would just go with the standard instead of the socom (we are talking about the M1A right and not something else?) only because it is cheaper and has a longer barrel which will make it a bit more accurate at longer ranges.
Your right thats what I'm looking for. is the standard also called the scout or is that anther variant ?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #15

"snapping in" A lot of people consider snap caps to be a moot point with centerfire rifles and pistols. personally I don't, I think it's important to take care of your tools no matter what they are. My craftsman wrenches get cleaned every time I use them, because I've also been injured from using a greasy wrench (damn near lost the tip of my trigger finger I must have fired hundreds of thousands of Imaginary rounds in the Marines, using no snap caps but the rifles weren't our responsibility to repair. as far as a spent cartridge, I've heard of people driving a round peg of buffalo horn into the primer hole, and loading a projectile in the case so than it will feed properly. personally I don't think this very safe because it looks to much like a live round and could get mixed up.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #16

Liked 79 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 40

There's 2 ways of looking at shooting at long ranges. One is for target shooting and the other is long range hunting. Out of the rifles used the most for any long range either for target or hunting is the 22-250 for those prairie dogs, coyotes, foxes, and other small(ish) critters. For targets this will go well up into the 1000yd range. For a larger caliber there's the 308, which has been used by many snipers for dispatching terrorist varmints at very accurate distances of 500yds and more and is a great target round. Then there's a newer caliber nowadays that lots of hunters swear by and that is the 338. I don't know much about this round or it's capabilities, but I understand it has lots of impact at 400 plus yards and is fairly flat shooting. Of course you could go for a "Golden Oldie" and that would be the 45-70, which has been around for over 100yrs. You can handload this round from mild to wild and lots of hunters have taken game at 600yds regularly, but they know what they're doing with this round and it's capabilities, along with a good tang sight system. Over on one lever action forum I belong to there's a couple gents that play "ring the metal dong" at 1000yds just for kicks with this old round.
Del

Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #17

Rennuke- there are 8 different models of M1A's to choose from, not counting any kind of custom jobs that may be floating around out there. they are listed here Springfield Armory

Any one of these would suit your purposes, but personally I would take the Standard which is just the basic, no-frills M1A. Part of the reason I say this is because all 8 models are fine rifles, with good quality from a respectable manufacturer, but they are all also kind of pricey. I wouldn't spring for the national match or the super match unless I was doing competitions, and winning.

The scout squad looks to be a basic M1A with a short rail base for a long eye relief sight, bipod and 18" barrel vs the 22" barrel on the standard.

If I just had the money to blow, I would I would like to have the M21 Tactical. That being said, you can look at Fulton Armory too. Their rifles cost quite a bit more, but I've heard said that the quality is worth it. I wouldn't know, I've never handled one of theirs.